1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Xbox modded

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by reid5, Mar 16, 2005.

1. reid5

reid5 Member

Hey, I have some questions-I want to get my xobx modded(by sending it to the mod store and getting the chip and HD installed) and im wondering should i go with a 120 or 160 gig drive?? what chip?? should i have an LCD screen on front or not??? also, would i bet better off buying an already modded xbox than sending mine in to get the changes i listed above done?? also- if you know any places that i can get (what you think i need) from for a great prices [bold]PM OR E-MAIL ME DONT POST IT-(this post will be closed)[/bold] the site or auction

2. modster

modster Regular member

do the mod yourself and save $$

- get Xecuter 3 CE $59.00 + $6.95 shipping
    - install the chip yourself (1 hour to be extreme)
    - download bios and dashboard
    - run to BestBuy and get Maxtor 160gig hard and install it

then you are done! and save about $200.00

3. reid5

reid5 Member

like is installing the 160 hard drive hard??

4. Smorgan77

Smorgan77 Member

LOL you actually typed "like"

I don't know, going to upgrade my stock HD soon...

5. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

there is little or no point to upgrading your hard drive. Eventually your going to fill it up with games and your gonna have to burn the games to dvd anyway. Save yourself some $$$ and get a dvd burner, then just burn em' all.
    And installing the chip yourself is pretty easy. I reckon my wife could easily do it. And she's never done anything with electronics at all.
    And i can't really see any point to getting the LCD screen for the front of the Xbox.

6. captnkidd

captnkidd Guest

Well you are right about filling the HD, but I have a PS2 with a 120 HD in it. When I started playing Xbox games and the DVD's again, hte load times are hard to deal with.

Get a DVD burner as well as the HD back up your games to dvd and load them to the HD and have fun.

Cap

7. catale

catale Member

if its just games you want to play, then go for a cheap aladdin or executer, with no hd upgrade.
    if you want to start mesing with the bios and have yourself a fancy dashboard, an xecuter 3 is a good choice.
    but whichever you choose make sure the bios supports HD's bigger than 130GB or the dam thing wont boot (AT ALL).
    I always install the xecuter 2.6 series as they are reliable and support a good veriety of bios's.

make sure you get the right bios for you version console as well as a wrong flash will render the ole modchip dead, and you will have to fork out for an external flasher or buy another modchip.

as for his wife chipping it, i dont think so, as the D0 point is a bit of a shit to do without the correct gear.

any prob's drop me a line and i will talk you through the whole process.

good luck. it aint that bad. just take your time, and collect all the stuff you need before you begin and all will be ok.

8. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

You don't think my wife is able to install a mod chip. She already installed one of the two that we have. It's friggin easy to do. Just follow the damn instructions. The D0 point is simple to do aswell. All we had to do was look at the pictures we had in our instalation guide and then solder the same points. How hard is that? And man, I don't care if you believe me about the wife installing a chip or not, but next time you decide to post about something I have said try not to imply that I'm a liar.

9. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Hey Bubba you've got a winner there!!!! Gotta love a women that's into modding Xbox's!! That's cool as hell

10. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

Yeah bro, I know. Ain't she great.

11. jwmc1971

jwmc1971 Member

HEY ...why buy any chip at all??? soft mod your box in about 15 mins including taking it apart . go to xboxscene.com and look for forums labeled soft mods and get your software and follow instructions . easy . also , upgrade to a bigger drive . do you really want to burn a bunch of crappy games that youll only play once ?? what a waste of a dvd . Hd all the way and if you have a big drive ( 120 or better on your pc )then you dont need to even buy a hd for the xbox . just leave the games on there till you try them out and play them on the box w/the stock 8 or 10 gig drive. trust me , only 10 or 20 games out of 200 are worth keeping anyway . i keep around 50 or so on a usb 2.0 250 gig external . ftp in the ones i want to play and delete later or burn the good ones. no need to buy double the hardware unless you plan on taking your box everywhere. ive done 50 or so softmods so far . the ones giving me the most headache are lat 2004 and up .new files are fixing this , though .youll have to search for the software ...mirc or newgroups....have fun

12. captnkidd

captnkidd Guest

I snaged my box a week ago and did the softmod and it was like a 5 minute job. I didn't toss a HD in there yet figured I'd wait out my 3 months then decide what I want to do.

13. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Well just my 2cents-Go with the H/D instead of DVD's Yes you'll fill up the drive but its easier to delete the games off the drive once you've lost interest in them. I've heard of soft-mod but I say stick with the mod-chips-more and more are becoming solderless and the cost of the chip far outweighs buying the game.

14. jwmc1971

jwmc1971 Member

having chips in 2 out of 3 box's , i like both , BUT the soft mod was free .Also , the mod i'm doing is a hot swap with a linux disc . not a thumb drive or mem card. dont have either .i am using an older dics , hence the probs on new xbox's . i fixed those by using slayers auto installs C and E .also by using FTP to do the formatting. like i said 15 mins total and replacing the original drive with a 250 gig. this soft mod exploit is the shat , bottom line it is free .

15. RadmanBla

RadmanBla Member

Hi,

I am having the worst time trying to softmod my XBox.

I have HDD Driver working so, I can put stuff onto my HD (System folder, which I assume is the C drive).

I have K: 4034 and D: 5659. I have tried to install the PBL (Pheonix Bios Loader) but I need a downgraded Dash. I went on mIRC to get Slayers Install, but it was just a torrent file. I installed Bit Torrent and it crashes my computer.

Does anyone know an easier way to do this.

I was quite amazed when I read that some of you did it in 5 to 15 minutes!

Thanks

16. jwmc1971

jwmc1971 Member

use newsbin....go to http://www.slyck.com/ng.php and do some research on newsgroups ....then use alt.binaries.cd.image.xbox and look for slayers auto install . yeah , this is real quick when your hdd has all the right stuff in it and your xbox agrees with you .

17. jwmc1971

jwmc1971 Member

haha ...i just read my old post and relized i said i was using " older dics " ..haha!!

18. jwmc1971

jwmc1971 Member

and misspelled realized