1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GH3 ps2 vs 360/ps3 and just little venting...

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Oraseth, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

Anyone else feel its just plain wrong that the 360 and ps3 version of GH3 cost about x2 the amount that the ps2 version costs?

Also, the eternal injustice where the us gets games months ahead of us here in Europe... Not to mention the fact that game sales have rivaled, and in quite a few cases surpassed the US sales figures...

I know, I know quite a few of the underlining reasons (some cases excuses) for the delays, but still its just unfair :(

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well, PS2 games were not much cheaper when the system was new like the 360 and PS3 are now. New games were about $49.99 here in the USA. And 360 games are $59.99 and it is for a much more advanced graphics game. So although i still think $60 is a bit high paying $10 extra for the amount of graphical enhancement you get on the next gen systems is worth it.

As far as getting the games first, well that i have no reasons for. Other than that a lot of the major gaming companies these days may be based here in the US or japan, both of which use a form of the NTSC format, where as Europe uses PAL. But really i have seen PAL versions get relesed before NTSC versions on many occasions.

3. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

Well, to be honest, the NTSC and PAL thing is pretty much a single option that they change when they publish the game, (the game has already been coded for 50/60/hdmi output) its really a few lines of code that is selected by picking option A or B when the production copy is made.

A bigger thing is that countries (publishers) like France, German, Italy and Spain (not sure about Spain) want to release games dubbed to there language ( degree may vary) and that they demand that they should come out at the same time. No the only reason REAL reason for this is that they fear losing sales in terms that people would import the game from england and other countries if they were to publish that version first (usually the same as the US version, but less censored).

Now, in europe you can send and mail games with out any additional tax so technically those sales would not be credited to the local sales but rather charted up to the country that sells the product. This on the other had brings in to question the reason for actually going to the trouble of dubbing them in the first place... (i know there are a lot of people that do not understand English, but no question there).

Point it that its pretty much just business, logistics, money and territorial cat-fight thing; and in the end consumers get the shaft...

As for the ps2 price, its about 40$ vs 60$ here in Europe. And the more advanced graphics is pretty much a excuse to charge more since the content is the same. Its not a different product in the sense; all 3 versions are printed on a piece of plastic. Also in terms of development; the work in not that big of a deal (worked in the game development industry); sure its work, but not content critical.

In the end, the average price of a ps3/360 new game is around 60 right now, and they will happily charge that and more.