1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give Boxee some feedback from Afterdawn members

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by vurbal, Mar 1, 2009.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The developers of Boxee, a free media center application for Linux, Intel Macs, Apple TV, and Windows (currently in private alpha) would like to know what you think of their software.

If you're not familiar with Boxee, it's designed primarily for viewing internet-based video on your TV. You can find more information on the company's website, and the Windows alpha will be going public in as little as 2-3 months. They are looking for feedback on what you think of the basic premise of Boxee, as well as any feedback from using it you might have after using it.

You can find a preview of the Windows alpha in our News section, and also a general article about it with some information I got from company spokesman Andrew Kippen. He asked me to let him know what Afterdawn's members thought of Boxee, and I thought it would be best if you told him yourself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. jgharris9

jgharris9 Member

Get it all up and running, the world is waiting.

3. dalecore

dalecore Regular member

Is the review here?

I was impressed by boxee's software. Compared to XBMC media player that it's built on, it offers a lot more. I love the options of being able to go from internet video stream sites like hulu to my video streams that are hooked up locally and through my network. Right away it automatically starts to download all the information for my movies and tv shows they even go as far as to add trailers for the movies. I thought that was a great addition. Me being able to put in my RSS feeds from boxee's website is great and the ability to make changes from my internet account is a nice option.

There have been a few draw backs that have kept me away from using this mainly instead of the XBMC. Navigating has been a little difficult partly because my apple remote is not fully functional.
    My HD rips did not show up I had to find them but they do play. I noticed that some of my tv show are showing up as movies.

All in all I like this software. Once I get a fully functional remote, I'll be able to a make a better decision on using this as my media center.

4. mahill510

mahill510 Member

Appears that Boxee is no longer available to download, unless I am missing the link... which is entirely possible...

5. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

I enjoy boxee greatly. I enjoy xbmc as well. I love them both. Truly though I can't use one over the other. I really can't put my finger on why I like xbmc for my personal library more and boxee for the online content more. Clearly xbmc doesn't have the same flare that boxee does when it comes to online content. I think my hang up comes from using xbmc for about 5 years on just about every appliance I could put it on.