1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give me good advice on pc building to prevent disaster!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hodab, Oct 23, 2004.

1. hodab

hodab Guest

I am building a computer now, an AMD sempron 2400, mobo Asus A7V8X-X, HD Excelstor 80 GB, Videocard Asus 128, PSU 300 W. Please give me wise advice so that my pc-building does not turn to be a disaster and ruin everything! THankyou

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if you have the motherboard installed in case, install the cpu, heatsink & fan, ram & videocard but first always( i have this saying that i tell all my customers & this is not meant to be offensive) R.T.F.M.D. (Read The F***ing Manual Dummy). once you have done those & not plugged power cord in, now plug power cord & turn system on hopefully it posts alright. if posts good then disconnect power cord( as come computers still have power when turned off) & start connecting hard drive, cd-rom? & floppy? & repower up system

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Never perform a build on carpet if it can be avoided.
    Move to wood. ESD -electrostatic discharge- is something many people disregard. A simple static charge(walking across a carpeted floor and touching a door knob or your younger brother)will generate approx. 20,000-30,000 volts-but with minimal amps so we dont go up in flames.
    Computer components and the chips within are prone to damage at about 50-300 volts.
    Ram is at the top of the list and is the root cause of 90% of ESD problems.
    ESD problems can manifest itself at any time (at the moment, in an hour or days maybe weeks down the line).
    This is why every thing you buy 'should be' in the dark shiney plastic protective covering.
    Wear a wristband that is grounded to a proper earth ground(electronic stores). At the very least make sure you are ALWAYS touching unpainted metal inside the case when you are working.
    Don't handle parts if your not grounded.

This may not prevent 'disaster' but it can save you headachs in the future.

4. hodab

hodab Guest

Great points ianski7