1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give me your recipe for sucess

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by sbaugz, Mar 9, 2005.

1. sbaugz

sbaugz Member

I am interested in knowing what combo of burner,software, media, etc you are using with good results.

Tell me what you think of this: I am currently using the following and am having problems: Teac DV-W58E DVD+/RW burner, swap magic 3.3, and PS2 fliptop for my version 4 PS2.

My first attempt was backing up NFSU2 using a Maxell 8X DVD+r and DVD decrypter. It won't load at all. My second attempt was backing up Mortal Kombat Deception using Memorex 8X DVR+R and alcohol 120%. This game will load and play, except none of the DVD movie sequences will play. The machine makes a load noise and skips the movie. I can hit "X" to leave movie and the game continues to play fine.

Before I invest too much more money experimenting with discs and games, I am wondering what others have used that worked.

I am willing to pick up different media and/or a different burner (I was looking at the BenQ), but I don't want to start dropping money all over yet until I get some recommendations first. Thanks.

2. hursty

hursty Active member

some v4's wont load dvd+r
    try using dvd-r

download this and tell me what manufacturer id is the memorex dvd
    (just run a dvd through the dvd identifier)

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com

3. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

Yeah try DVD-R if those aren't working for you (I know my slim PS2 doesn't seem to work with DVD-R's, so that's why I switched to +R), but you might also want to consider switching media brands. Ritek/RiData (same brand, just different label) DVD's are solid. Worked flawlessly for me so far. Also, I use a modchip so I'm not experienced on this, but from what I read some games don't seem to work with swap magic and some other non-modchip/hard drive methods. Maybe that could be an issue too?

4. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

My v4 ps2 liked HP 4x max dvd+r's. But yah, you may require -r's.

5. sbaugz

sbaugz Member

Thanks for the replies. I used DVD Identifer and here are the results:

Memorex DVD+R come up as CMC Mag
    Maxell DVD+R come up as Maxell

I will probably try some Riteks +R's or Taiyo +R's first. Anyone know where I can get just a few to try out? I don't want to order 50, only to find out they don't work. If that doesn't work, then I will probably invest in a different burner that burns -R(mine only burns +R).

6. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

CMC Mag is crap. Maxell is pretty good. Try to use 4x media instead of 8x.