1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

given up

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by mayang, Apr 12, 2004.

1. mayang

mayang Member

after large amounts of stress with tryin to backup games on dvd-r's i decided to scratch it all and purchase a hard disk for it instead as this sounds like the better and logical option!...anyone one know the preferred hdd for the xbox i heard somewhere the maxtor ide one is good and how many gigs would you reccommend? also is it hard to install?

2. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

Mayang...can you please, please help me to understand why you have given up when I put a post up telling people like yourself that I would help you? Look dude...this stuff is simple but if you don't take advantage of people like myself then you will never get it done. Got news for ya, if you think it's gonna be easier to install another drive, put games on your hard drive and update the bios...I got news for ya. PM me and I will help you.

3. Daskins

Daskins Regular member

80 gig is the standard and man backing up games is not hard at all if my little brother knows hoe to do it then anyone should.

4. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

I didn't say that was hard...but if you can't figure out how to back up a simple game how easy is it gonna be to put in a hard drive and update your bios? Plus, c'mon...the main issue was the fact that I offered to help this guy out. Why not do both? Learn both skills

5. Daskins

Daskins Regular member

yep which is what mostly everyone else does lol.

6. eggbert52

eggbert52 Regular member

Daskins...I think I'm gonna want to add a hard drive in the near future do you think you could give me some advice when I'm ready? I know djboogie wants to do it to.

7. Daskins

Daskins Regular member

my only advice is to get a hard drive that is lockable because if you don't you can't access the M$ dashboard.

8. Daskins

Daskins Regular member

also Maxtor drives are very good but i tend to use Western Digiatal drives either of these two companies are good quality.

9. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

www.system-mods.com has hardrives for sale that come ready to go. All you do is plug and play. It comes locked and it even has evox installed on it.

10. Daskins

Daskins Regular member

well if ya want a big capacity hard drive and lockable go to (http://www.3btech.net) and in their hard drive section they have a WD 200Gb hard drive for $139.00 i got mine from there and i can verify that it's lockable.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Hail To The Redskins![/small]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  11. iggi

iggi Member

anybody here actually got a maxtor hd in and running? I have a diamondmax plus 9 160GB ready to put in but i read somewhere they are prone to fusking up when in xbox's. they apparanetly keep overheating, but everyone i spoke to seems to know someone it happened to rather than it being them.

I prefer to listen to people first hand, you know what i mean.

iggi

12. yankeered

yankeered Regular member

both of mine are maxtors 120 and a 160
    they are not locked ,i can access m$ dash
    just no xboxlive with no lock but they will lock if you desire, i know for a fact they will lock because i erased a bunch of stuff then accedently locked it and could not access it , rma'd back to maxtor they sent me a new one!!

13. iggi

iggi Member

how long have they been in? i need to decide the fate of the hdd, xbox or ebay? :)

i'm not bothered wether they are lockable or not either. I dont play live and i have put hard drive's in other people's machines (never a maxtor though)and they can all access msdash though not locked.

iggi

14. yankeered

yankeered Regular member

6 months or so
    i just watched for sales at bestbuy
    i just got another maxtor 160 a little while back when they had the 159$ 160gig with 90$mail in rebate crap
    after rebate it is just 69$ still waiting for my 90$
    tho. so far every rebate i sent ive got

15. iggi

iggi Member

i'll bang it in this weekend then i think. thanks.

I'm in UK so i wouldn't know anything about your rebate scene, I got mine from a repo sale for £50 which in dollars is about 90? 160gb ata/133 hdd 8mb cache. i figured at that price i couldn't lose. if it turned out to be no use to me i would get more than that on ebay.
    I'm looking at importing more from US though as the UK£ is getting stronger its making things cheaper to import. :)

iggi

16. liquid51

liquid51 Regular member

I payed $150 (after rebates and such) for my maxtor 250gig, 7200 rpm from compUSA. They have decent sales every now and again.