1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving up on Nero....some advice please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by isaackim, Apr 9, 2004.

1. isaackim

isaackim Guest

Hi all,

I'm finally giving up on Nero 6 (which I got with my Memorex burner). I want to transfer tapes from my digital camcorder to DVD's with menus. Nero Vision Express was great in transfering my tapes to .avi files on my computer. The authoring in NVE seemed to work, but every time I tried to burn a DVD, there were issues/problems. After trying for 2 weeks, and reading all the info on this site (which is great), I am trying a new strategy.

It seems really popular here to use TMPGEnc to convert .avi files to mpeg3 files. I downloaded the 30 day version. TMPGEnc seemed to work, but now I have a few questions which I hope someone here can answer:

1. Why does TMPGEnc break up the .avi file into a video file (.m2v) and a audio file (.wav) ?

2. What is the best authoring software to use with the mpeg2 files. Alot of people seem to like TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5, but I have a Windows 98 machine. I looked at IFOEdit, but it can't do menus (as far as I know). Plus, I want to try to limit how much I spend on new software. I figure I will have to buy TMPGEnc Plus, but I was hoping there was some decent free/shareware DVD authoring with menus software out there.

Please can some help this newbie.

Thanks,
    Isaac

2. clueless1

clueless1 Member

Download ULEAD DVD WORKSHOP trial. http://www.ulead.com/dws/features.htm
    I wouldnt recommend buying TMPGENC, just buy DVD Workshop, it's a great program, and is perfect for DVD authoring.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

i use tmpgenc/tmpgenc dvd author(menus too!) to go AVI to MPEG it can make 1 file with both sound/video or as you say make 2 files! your chioce!

with this setup though as we know converting looses quailty every change of state! so AVI > MPEG2 > VOBS has 2 losses of quality!