1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glencoe Audio Library -.cda files.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bkrueger, Feb 27, 2004.

1. bkrueger

bkrueger Guest

Hello everyone, wonderful site, by the way.

I'm sorry to post this, as I am sure it's already been talked about somewhere, however, I get an Internal Server Error message when I try to use the forum search tool, so I'll ask it anyway.

I'm the asst. tech director for a smallish school district, part of the mhs English cirriculum uses the Glencoe Literature Audio Library (16 disks). We have a user agreement with Glencoe and their full permission to make copies for the kids to take home and listen to.

I had the disks copied to the hard drive of a computer with a built in cdrw (only cdr drive on it)
    I discovered that the glencoe files are all .cda's, and won't burn 'right' onto the rewriteables.

My question is do I have to recopy the Glencoe disks, converting them to mp3 first, or can I convert the .cda files straight from the drive they are copied to?

How would I go about doing either?

Thank you much for your time and help.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

You need an audio extraction program like Exact Audio Copy or CDEx (both free, avail. at afterdawn download section). Extract to .wav format (you want to create audio CDs so using mp3 will give you a pointless loss in quality) and burn the .wav file(s) to audio CDs.

With Nero Burning Rom (or comparable programs) you should be able to do all these steps easily - What burning software do you use?

3. bkrueger

bkrueger Guest

Thanks a lot. As far as burning softwear, we have Adaptec Direct CD and Easy Cd on the computer.

since they were made origionally as data disks, it's sounding like I might be able to copy them from the files on the computer just using the make audio option?

4. tigre

If Windows explorer shows .cda files on the discs, they're audio CDs and need to be extracted/copied in your software's audio CD mode. (You can double-check by trying to play them back in a standalone CD player (not DVD player) - if it works they're audio CDs for sure.) I don't know the burning software you use, if it doesn't have an audio CD mode, just extract using EAC/CDex as I described in my 1st post.

5. dizzysuzy

dizzysuzy Member

i dont mean to thread jack but since my question is almost like this, i thought i would post it here.

a friend of mine sent me a .cda (shoot i never even heard of this type of file before) file to listen to, but all my programs do not support these files. is there a way that i can convert this to a .wav file so that i may listen to it?

6. tigre

How large is this file (rightclick ->properties)? 4k I guess... -> Nope, no chance. It's just another kind of shortcut and doesn't contain any audio information.

7. bkrueger

bkrueger Guest

That's what mine were as well, super tiny, less than a mb for all 16 disk .cda files together.

Thanks for explaining, I appreciate it a lot.

The bad thing here is that the computer we were using to make the back up disks with has only 1 drive, a cdrw, instead of the cdrom and a cdw/cdrw.

We have other cd writers here though, so I believe I will just use one of the programs you reccomended to format them into wavs for creating an audio file, or just use an external device and copy directly from the origional disks.

Thank you for your time, patience, and consideration Tigre.