1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

glitches during playback /DVD Shrink+Nero

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Risknplay, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Risknplay

Risknplay Member

Just when I thought everything was going great.......

I ripped and burned with DVD Shrink and Nero respectively at a compression rate of no less than 70%. All was successful. During playback on my stand alone everyhting was fine until we got to chapter 8 and first there was a small green square followed shortly by glitches in both video and audio and then a full stop. I went to play it on my computer and basically the same thing happened just a bit further maybe on chapter 10. Again I went to my stand alone, slowly skipped chapters, and it played perfectly for another few minutes before it started to glitch again.. PLEASE HELP!! I was just about to buy NERO Now Im having second thoughts. SO CLOSE AND YET SO FAR!!

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

sounds like crappy media to me. What brand are you using?

3. Risknplay

Risknplay Member

TDK DVD+R up to 4x compatible

4. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Risknplay, have you played the "shrunk" files from your hard-drive to see if they exhibit the same problem?

5. Risknplay

Risknplay Member

yes they play fine.... and now Ive been able to watch the last half of the movie with no problems. BUT.... when I put it in and play from the beginning it began to glitch and then stop completely around chapter 12??? What is up?? It seems like the DVD gets warm or something and then it wont play.. in my stand alone (Pioneer DV440)OR my PC??
    THANKS for the replies I hope someone can steer me in the right direction...

6. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Risknplay, this should point to a bad burn.

Three possible causes:
    1) heavy multitasking while burning.
    2) buggy version of Nero (v6?)
    3) bad media, the most probable cause.

You could kinda test the last one by changing the target size in DVD Shrink.
    By lowering it to around 4.2GB, nothing will be burned to the disc edge (which can be dodgy on cheap media).
    Also, you could try a better brand of media like verbatim or ryteks (just make sure you get their A-grade ones, as quality control is not always great).

Let us know how you get along. ;)

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

TDK is a good brand of media.

8. Risknplay

Risknplay Member

Thanks I will try your suggestions... I think it was already below 4.2 but now I deleated ALL extras and was able to "shrink" it at 100% using DVD Shrink and have the file down to 3910MB and am using BURNATONCE to write the new backup. THANK YOU ddlooping for the free software access and great user guides! We'll see if this works....
    I still dont understand why my dvd works for a while but not for the full 110 minutes??
    I'll let you know how burnatonce does

9. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Thanks for the positive feedback, Risknplay. :)

And, you're welcome. ;)

10. ronras

ronras Member

I've had the same problem. I don't watch th DVD's right away so have about 30 that I haven't watched yet. I do find not to shrink it down too much and just use the re-author in Shrink for just the movie. Also the media type is an issue. I think TDK's are ok though. Also the speed that you burn has an effect. It is really critacl when burning Xbox.