1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glitches in Burned DVD's useing Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by leggettc, Feb 16, 2005.

1. leggettc

leggettc Member

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am new to this and have tried to burn a couple of movies. Problem is half the time Shrink times out. I was told to make sure DMA is checked for my burner in Device Manager. I have a DVD ROM, a CD RW and my external DVD Burner. Both the CD RW and the DVD ROM have the DMA option in Device Manager but the Burner does not so I have no way to know if DMA is chosen or not. When I do get Shrink to burn a complete copy without timing out, the copy has glitches or even freezes. I use reauthor to copy the movie only so that compression is at the minimum. Some cases there is no compression. I have wasted about 10-15 DVDs trying to trouble shoot this issue. Can anyone please help. At this rate of wasted DVD's it would almost be cheaper to buy a backup copy rather than trying to burn one. Oh! DVD Decrypter decrypts the movie without problems and DVD Shrink analyzes and encodes without logging any errors.

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

What is the media you are trying to burn too?
    Is your External burner hooked up through a USB 2 port. And what burning program are you using.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Get you some rw's till you get the problem fixed.We need no more coasters in this world.

Since some of your successful backups freeze and have glitches, Bardie's 1st question should be the answer.The different quality levels in media are the #1 problem in dvd burning.

How fast are you trying to burn?
    Burning too fast can also cause those same issues.

Are you viewing those successful backups on a stand alone player on your pc? We need to know if your pc can play those backups,without any problems.

The more info you add, the sooner that issue can be fixed.

4. leggettc

leggettc Member

My external burner is a new Sony which can also burn "double layer" though I don't try to use that feature. Since it is a Sony, I also use Sony DVD-R's figuring that since they are both Sony I would not have a problem with media incompatability. It is connected via USB 2.0 connection. I rip the movie with DVD Decrypter which it seems to do without problems. Once it is stored on my HDD I then use DVD Shrink to: 1. reauthor so I can copy the movie only. 2. Analyze (without problem) 3. Encode (without problem) 4. Burn (this is where the problems start).
    As to RW DVD's, can you burn to those just like the DVD -R's? Is quality as good? I didn't think you could use them since everything I have been reading says DVDR. Thanks for any help.

5. leggettc

leggettc Member

Forgot to add in above entry...I went in to DVD Shrink and changed copy speed from "maximun" to "4X" to slow it down some.

6. leggettc

leggettc Member

I can also view the few that do burn without error on my Denon DVD player. I don't usually play the DVD's on my PC except to burn them.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sony dvd-r? From what I have used and heard on these forums,They are not that great. They usually have to be burned slower. I got a hold of some sony -4x,one batch made in austria and other batch in taiwan. I left the burn speed slow,so not to get any errors.I don't know about the sony-1-8x. Which ones do you have and what country were they made in?

On your next batch of dvdr's,try the sony +1-8x. These are by far the best sony's I have used. I just got a batch of 350 that were made by ty.Look on the outer sony wrapper for made in japan,they should be the ty's.The ones made in taiwan are still pretty good.

Of course,there is taiyo yudens,usually the best media whether it is plus or dash format,you may want to give them a try.

Leaving dvd shrink's burn settings at max speed: Those sony +1-8x's, I got 16x out of them.Now I always double check that setting.

RW's are great to practice with,but certain stand alone players seem to have a lot harder time reading them.

Your process of ripping and encoding sound ok,it just looks like that sony burner doesn't like those sony - discs. Slow it down to about 2x and see if the coasters settle down.Try to get through the rest of the batch and don't put anything important on them.

I like to check my backups on the pc after the burn. Not entire dvd,just fast forwarding,reversing,pausing,skip around chapters,and check the end of the disc and make sure the ending looks good. Then I slap them in my reliable sony stand alone player to make sure they are ok.

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

are you able to rip the films to hard disk fine, ie the actual film is fine, is it just the burning to dvd/and or resultant copy on the the dvd that's got the problem, ie is there anything that helps pinpoint the problem ?