1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

globalpowerpolicy registry error. hkey_current_user\controlpanel\powercfg\globalpowerpolicy

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by libbo2003, Dec 2, 2015.

1. libbo2003

libbo2003 Regular member

Hi guys have installed win 10 on my medion akoya laptop which was win7. Upon login I get the message

globalpowerpolicy registry error. hkey_current_user\controlpanel\powercfg\globalpowerpolicy

How do I fix this problem?
    I have loaded win 10 on 4 other pcs and not had this problem with any of the rest

Microsoft gave me this answer which does not help solve the problem
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-748d-4026-803a-4a52890b9f8c?tm=1448892149948

Any help well appreciated.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Registry corruption or a fault with a file or there was an issue while it was installing.The problem is determining where the fault lies.Could be from the disc you have win 10 on or bad blocks on the hdd itself.Perhaps widows error log can help ?.I'd try a repair first if that failed i switch to checking the hdd normally i'd use seagate seatools however there is a better one i just can't think of it's name,i know who mentioned it but they don't visit this site.No matter this is a start

3. libbo2003

libbo2003 Regular member

hi thanks for the reply, win 10 was installed from the free windows update. if the reg key is corrupted what can i use to fix it?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Without a disc a repair won't work.Assuming that's the only registry entry that's stuffed it may be possible to create a new entry manually however you'd need an installed copy of win 10 to make a duplicate to replace your one which would require deletion (not before creating a backup).Even then it may not work there's no knowing what other damage there is i'd be inclined to revert back to the previous OS & wait to get a disc then do a complete fresh install rather than upgrade

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can download the win10 iso from ms so you can install fresh win10. I have both the 32bit & 64bit iso versions.

6. libbo2003

libbo2003 Regular member

Thanks for the help, can you paste the correct link to get the iso from windows?