1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go Video won't recognize DVD-RW if I remove it?

Discussion in 'DVD-VCR combos' started by shaytala, Mar 22, 2010.

1. shaytala

shaytala Member

I have a Go Video combo. When I tape on DVD-RW if dvd remains in machine I can replay.
    If I removed DVD and later put it back in...it won't allow me to read, view, play etc what's on the dvd. It automatically goes into the initialize mode and forces me to choose which one I want to use VR etc.

How do I override? Do I have to finalize an RW if I just want to replay in the same machine?

2. attar

attar Senior member

I'm not familiar with that brand of recorder, but in any recorder that I have used, a disk only has to be finalized if you wish to play it on a PC or different standalone player.
    Yours may be the one that's different.
    Any help from the manual or the maker?

3. shaytala

shaytala Member

Go Video has been around a while. I had my first one about 12 years ago, dual VHS to VHS. I bought a newer one VHS/DVD several years back. It's been acting up and the manual for sure doesn't say anything about this issue. Last night I taped 4 hours of shows on DVD-RW and replayed it. At about hour 3 I tried to fast forward and the picture froze. I tried for 5 min...rewind...ff...play....would not come out of the "frozen spot". I finally deleted it all. Just now went in and it requested I initialize which I did. Then it asked me a second time to inititalize which I did again. This time I chose Video Mode instead of VR (not sure but think this is correct mode) and I taped a few minutes played it back it was ok...however...turned the machine off to view my taping later and when I came back and turned it on it wanted me to initialize again (thus losing what I've taped).

I wonder if I should get a can of air spray and clean or blow out the machine. Sounds like sensors or whatever are not reading accurately. ALSO, I put purchased music CD's into machine at times and it won't recognize them...meaning like a Celine Dion CD I tried to play. Then it will turn around and recognize just fine my own music CD I've made.

I'm open to any troubleshooting ideas?

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

The problem is the dvd-rw .. it's very simple. A rw disk can't be finalised and the recorder is obviously seeing any unfinalised disk inserted as writeable and needing formatting.. without checking if there is anything on it first. The clue here is the way if the machine is left turned on with the disk in after it is initialized then it is happy to make a multi entry structure but as soon as the drive is reset it's a completely new disk. Chances are as this is a "branded" bit of hardware it has been "broken by design" to restrict what you do with it at every step..

try the disks in your pc.. try some dvd-r disks and leave them unfinalised, then try completing them later.. test options all the way.. but remember rw disks are bad news in standalone recorders a lot of the time... unless the recorder is specifically designed for them.

My cheapass tevion recorder produces fine recordings on rw disks that play in my pc too.. but it's exceptional.. it will finalise disks made in other machines and do ntsc/pal conversions on the fly..(ntsc vcr to pal dvd.. ignores macrovision too) some bit of kit for £30 eh?