1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gobsmacked at DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by agent-k, Apr 25, 2005.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I've always been a big fan of DVD Shrink, it's easy to use and has always given me excellent results. But to be truthful, if ever I needed to compress a movie more than about 75% then I use Rebuilder/CCE as its the best there is in my opinion.

Well this weekend I was backing up my Lord of the Rings Extented edition collection and RB/CCE failed on one of the discs. So having no other choice I loaded it up into shrink, ticked the 2 boxes for deep analysis and maximum smoothness and let it go to work.
    I was expecting good results but not the quality I've come to expect from RB/CCE.
    Was I surprised when I checked out the result, it was perfect considering the compression ratio was 57%.
    The quality was easily as good as ReBuilder/CCE if not better.
    DVD Shrink, I owe you an apology, I knew you were good but I just never realised how good. I am sorry for neglecting you and promise to use you more often.

(I think I'm losing it now)

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Oh come on now, if you put it on a big plasma screen and zoom in 300 times, you will see that it breaks down. ;-) Those guys kill my when they use that argument. Hell most of the crap disks that are coming out these days are lucky to play.

Too bad I am old, need glasses and only have 32". Shrink and Decrypter are all I use. I like the k.i.s.s. approach.

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I quite agree with you, I've never understood that as a feasable argument either.
    If it plays as good as an original on your home equipment then surely thats all you can ask and expect.

I am a happy man. (even though I'm married):)

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- i haven't used Shrink yet today - it's a travesty :)

- Hear hear. i only have a 15 or 20yr old Sony portable TV (but have watched loads of my Shrink encoded films on dad's large modern widescreen tv) and can't tell the difference on either. And my glasses are new (omg and boy they were expensive!)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005