1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God of War II - GOW2 on HDLoader... WORKING!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by ToxicFish, Mar 14, 2007.

1. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

I have been trying to get GOW2 to work on HDLoader and have been unsuccessful. I have tried the following combinations so far.

w/ and w/o the toxic dual layer patcher.
    All modes on both patched and unpatched images.

I still need to try different versions of HDLoader or using a different boot file besides the standard slus. Anyone have any ideas?

2. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

I did a search for the latest version of hdloader and I came up with this... http://files-upload.com/127676/HDLv0.8_GOW.zip.html

Whether or not it was made for GOW, who knows... It works!

I've tested two other versions of HDLoader including the latest 8B, and both don't work. The one listed seems to have done the trick. I wonder who uploaded it..?

3. jakewiz13

jakewiz13 Member

I have a couple of questions about this. Im not really big on using the ELF and dummy files so basically i was wondering how you used this file? I found a HDLv0.8b GOW2 zip that had a Dummyfile.dat, HDLOADER.ELF, and SYSTEM.CNF. So what am i suppose to do now? thanks for the help.

4. cmaker

cmaker Member

I tried to burn it directly using DVD Decrypter but it didn't work. Won't read it as a PS2 disc.

5. limelight

limelight Regular member

You have to burn it in association with the ps2 memory explot http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/94/62/

ive replaced the hdloader.elf in that guide with the new gow2 elf, and it does install, but when i go to load the program all it shows is "loading xxx", and my hard drive is constantly spinning. Please help!

6. smlvfx

smlvfx Regular member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  7. limelight

limelight Regular member

Ah I figured it out...hehe

I forgot to modify the KL.DAT file in notepad...now its all good!!

8. Saint1

Saint1 Member

could you elaborate please I have no idea what's going on with this ISO.

9. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

Saint, do you already have a method of booting backups ie... memory card exploit, chip, SM, AR? If not, you need to do some research before you can play GOW2 using this method.

I'll tell you what I'm doing in a nutshell.
    -Using the Memory Card Exploit to run applications on the PS2.
    -Using ulaunchELF to load my applications
    -Running HDLoader with the IPS/GOW2 patch applied
    -Enjoying GOW2 :)

In that zip file that you're downloading there are three or four files. The only file of importance is the hdloader.elf. This file is the boot file or application. The zip file has the nessassary files for the PS2 where it can boot off a CD instead off of ulaunchELF in the Memory Card Exploit.

If someone desided to run hdloader off a CD it is always a good idea to include a large dummy file on the disk aswell. This is to help the PS2 read the files on the CD. CD burners begin writing in the center of a CD and burn outwards. Since the center of the cd is really dence, it is difficult for drives to read the core of CDs. A dummy file is place at the beginning of the CD to take up this hard to read space followed by the the important system and boot files.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  10. jmoneyman

jmoneyman Member

yes please i have the same problem i use dvd decrypter extract the file and burn the iso image.
    but after i load it in the ps2 my screening is just spinning what have i done wrong??

11. zaq2g

zaq2g Member

If you want to roll your own HDL to work with GoW2, follow the directions on this page: http://www.ps2hd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9273

There are also links to copies of already patched HDL.

I made my own following the directions and had no problems with my V10 and V4.

12. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

This thread is only for help with GOW2 in assosiation with HDLoader. By "load it in the ps2" I assume that you mean that you put the backed up game in the ps2... Are you working with HDLoader?

13. tonydanz

tonydanz Member

Hey Ive tried numerous versions of the supposed patched HD Loaders and a DVD5 and DVD9 version of the game and in every case the game starts up, plays the intro then freezes just as Kratos shrinks down to start fighting. Any idea what is up?

14. ToxicFish

ToxicFish Regular member

You could have a corrupted sector on your HDD... I would try using winhiip with its repair tool and see if that helps any. Also if there is a lot of fragmentation on your drive that could be the issue aswell. You can see fragmentation in winhiip by using one of the tools it has (forgot what it was called).

To be safe, you can uncheck the option that says "reduce fragments". This will install the image that you are using in a solid chunk instead of filling in the holes left from earlier installations.

15. dashom

dashom Guest

Hello

Im having the same problem with this game, I already tried using the Scan/Repair option that come with Winhhip and enable the option of reduce fragmentation, and I even delete other games from the HD to make more space and to try make that GOW2 be in a continous sector.

Hope someone can help me, thanks in advance

16. tonydanz

tonydanz Member

Hey I managed to get it working for me, im using the DVD9 release. I updated to the newest version of winhiip then totaly erased the HDD, used the scan/repair function, then put the game back on. Im using the GOW2 Demo HDloader and it works now. Not sure what the deal was.

17. dashom

dashom Guest

Congratulations tonydanz , I´ll try with the newest version of winhiip (i was using 1.7.5) then scan/repair and try again loading the image but the part of erasing the HD is not an option for me (a lot of games already in it).

Thanks tonydanz

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2007