1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going crackers trying to burn

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by bbssbb, Nov 20, 2004.

1. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

I'm new to this forum and am a 60+ mac devotee. I am literally going crackers trying to copy some of my dvd collection. For the past 2-3 months I had read just about every forum entry concerning this subject and followed the tutorials religiously.
    I have an emac running 10.3.6 and have been using MacTheRipper (and DVDBackup) - DVD2oneX (and DVDRemaseter) - and Toast 6.
    All to no avail. The copied version lasts about 20-30 minutes, blurred pixels start appearing and soon afterwards the movie freezes when I try to play it on my DVD player ( Sony)
    The play OK on the emac, I am using fairly top quality DVDs and as I said I have tried many variations on the various tutorials in this forum. It's getting costly and I have heaps of coasters.
    Any advice please before my wife declares war.

2. Londor

Londor Guest

What brand and kind of media are you using?

Because the discs play in your computer I would say there is an incompatibility problem between the media you are using and the Sony player. How old is it? Have you ever cleaned its lens?

3. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

Thanks Londor for your quick reply. Am using TDK DVD-R disks and the DVD player is only 3 months old, bought brand new !!!

4. Londor

Londor Guest

Many people have reported problems with some TDK discs.

I would recommend you to get RIDATA or TRAXDATA by Ritek. They are one of the most compatible discs around and you can get them at a good price. Or if you want the best and money is not an issue get Taiyo Yuden. Also buy from a reputable shop because there are many fakes around.

5. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

Thanks again Londor. I live in Australia and have not come across those disks but will search around. The originals play OK so I guessed it was a problem in the burning process, but will continue to look for solutions.
    Thanks again.

6. Londor

Londor Guest

You will probably need to buy them online. You can contact the official distributor for Ritek in Australia:

U-TECH MEDIA AUSTRALIA PTY. LTD.
    Sales and Services
    Phone: (02) 9669 3311 Ext: 130
    Fax: (02) 9317 3939

7. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

Londor, in the process of ordering online now. Will keep you informed as to the results. Going away for a week so after that will let you know. Many thanks again as this is my first email to the forum. What a great help you have been.
    Bob

8. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Definitely a media issue.

You can try to burn your current media at a slow speed for the heck of it though...

MG

9. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

Hi Londor and Mediaguru. Been a while but I got around to another burning today. Ordered in Ritek disks and burnt at a slower speed as well. Combination of the two worked great. Thanks for the advice.
    Bob.

10. Londor

Londor Guest

Now that you got it working you can increase the burning speed bit by bit until you find the one that works best for you. (You should not have problems burning at 4x or faster on good media).

11. lindylou

lindylou Member

Hi
    Where can I get the decent discs in the UK? Price is an issue I'm afraid!!

12. Londor

Londor Guest

13. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

Londor, I may have presumed a little too much. The disk played beautifully through the chapters on the emac but again when I played it on the DVD player it lasted this time for about an hour before it froze but no pixellation this time. I will persevere with different options in the burning process. In another forum here I saw you mentioned you can use the Video tab in Toast as well. Is this only another option or does it work better. I will give it a try.
    Bob.

14. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Try the DVD in another player and see if it does it. It may be you have a "finicky" player.

MG

15. Londor

Londor Guest

What version of Toast 6 do you have?

16. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

I have 6.0.7 as well as 5.2.3.

17. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

Mediaguru, the DVD player is a brand new Sony DVP-NS5309 ( cost a bit as well).
    I will try the disk on my neighbours. Thanks.

18. Londor

Londor Guest

Using 6.0.7 you [bold]have[/bold] to burn the VIDEO_TS folders in the "Video" tab. Select "DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS" in the Disc Settings drawer and drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto the Toast window. Burn it.

19. bbssbb

bbssbb Member

Many thanks, will do it now and get back to you later.
    Fingers crossed.
    Bob

20. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'm not up to 6.0.7 so I guess I'd better get that happening.

MG