1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

going online using internet connection sharing??

Discussion in 'PS2' started by emodro, Mar 25, 2005.

1. emodro

emodro Member

so the way internet works in my house is that my computer is hooked up to my downstairs router using a wireless USB adaptor... i have an ethernet adapter, but have never had any use for it, until now.. i just recently got a network adaptor for my ps2. when i tried enabling the intel ethernet pci card in my pc and hook it up to the ps2 it says "a network cable is unplugged... i made sure internet sharing is turned on... and when i try logging on with my ps2 it just times out... is there anything i can do... any settings i should play with?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

why are you not connecting your ps2 directly to your router?

3. emodro

emodro Member

because it is too far away, the only way internet can reach my room where my ps2 is is by a wireless usb thing

4. emodro

emodro Member

5. emodro

emodro Member

ok i got it, if anyone cares... to go straight from pc to ps2 make sure the cable is a cross over cable... i just went ghetto and cut the wires and patched them and used tape, everything works fine... bridged my usb and ethernet together...

6. trys

trys Member

After emailing lots of companies, stil no reply, so I came here to get some feedback from you people since I don't really know what to do.

I have the ps2 Network Adapter, plus that "straight cable issued with it. I also have a 10/100 Ethernet Nic Card at the bottom om my pic. Once installing the driver, and plugging in the cable to the ps2, there was a box at the bottom right of the screen which says "cable network unplugged." After reading something about Internet Connection Sharing on uk.playstation.com, it seems I need a "crossover cable" in order to do this. Now, would this still work or do I NEED to buy a router, since there is no output on this bloody wanadoo speedtouch ADSL modem we have. If so, the D-Link is about £25. Would the idea of using the Nic card work? If not, and I get a D-Link router, would I just connect the cable supplied with the ethernet adapter, and put it straight into the router??

Thanks for any help.

7. emodro

emodro Member

just get a crossover cable....or make one.... it's like the same thing... just different connections

8. trys

trys Member

Really? So if I get a cross-over cable from the ps2, to the Nic Ethernet Card, it would work?

How do you make one?

9. lizardboy

lizardboy Member

its usally impossible to make a crossover cable unless you have a crimper, which i'd bet you dont. its easiest just to go to a computer store and get a crossover cable pre made. they tend to be more durable too.

10. emodro

emodro Member

i had a bunch of regular network cables lying around so as a test i just cut the tip off one (leaving about 6" of cable) i followed a diagram (http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm) and patched the cables accordingly (just patch them from left to right... dont worry about the crossing over...
    basically the connection is
    brown to brown
    white with brown stripe to white with brown stripe
    orange to green
    white blue to white blue
    blue to blue
    white orange to white green
    green to orange
    white green to white orange

the color on the left is the cut connector and the right is the other side... you have to strip the cable and solder... (or tie them like i did by twisting them)tape each individual connection to avoid a short and then tape the whole thing to make the connection stronger... yes this is a little ghetto but it workd for me... you could aslo go on ebay or your local pc store and buy a cross over cable... but to get the connection from a pci card to a ps2 u must use a cross over cable...

11. trys

trys Member

I have one now. So is this right, (in theory)

The crossover cable, wchih is yellow, back of the playstation 2 to the Ethernet (LAN) Nic card a the back of my pc?

(Ive done this but when i put in the startup disc into ps2, and test the connection, the IP adress is done, the first green circle is complete, but then the DNS server thing, it just stops after 30 seconds. It can't ifnd it)

What could I do?

12. emodro

emodro Member

make sure you enable internet connection sharing on the network adapter which has the internet coming in... or bridge the connections