1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to buy a PS2 - Get fat or slim?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by rdn98, May 10, 2007.

1. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

Hi all, with PS2's getting so cheap, I thought I'd toss out a few questions to you guys and see what is the best recommendation.

1) Buy used or new? I'm short on cash, I would like to buy a used one from like Gamestop, but if its better to get a new system, I'll consider it.

2) Fat or slim model? I guess if I go to the store and buy a new system, it will be slim, but if I go used route, I can get a fat model. Which is better, in terms of game compatability?

3) I am thinking of getting the magic swap, but should I get the 3.6 or 3.8 version.

My goal is to play backup copies of God of War I and II. Which would be the best setup playing these 2 games?

Thanks all. I love afterdawn.

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

God of War 1 and 2 are probably one of the fewest games that requires a bit of tedium to rebuild because they're both on DVD-9 games if you decide to go to the Swap Magic route. If you wanted to play both your PSX games AND PS2 games, I suggest getting a fat PS2 over a slim PS2 anyday since the compatability is far more better for the fat PS2s than the slimline, most noticeably the recent silver slim PS2s, which I'm a proud and disappointed owner of. As for whether or not to get it used, if you decide to get it used, you're best off with a fat PS2 and get a mod-chip for it. You could use the slidecard in conjunction with the bigger PS2s, but it isn't entirely fool-proof either which is why I was hesitant using Swap Magic for my dying v5/v6 PS2 so I decided I was better off with the slim PS2 to play my imports. As for the Swap Magic route, get 3.6 but if you want cheats, then the 3.8 coder which I also have. I have the SM 3.8 coder version but I never even used the codes, lol.

Edit: I'll clear my difference with the fat PS2 over the slim PS2. I bought my slim PS2 thinking I would be able to play a lot of my old PSX games but so far I've been disappointed and, since then, neglected playing any of my PSX games nowadays in favor of my PS2 games because of my situation. I was sad to find out Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo can't even boot-up, Thousand Arms freezes here and there randomly, and etc... Although, if there's one thing I want to praise the slim PS2 for, is that it can read really bad condition games incredibly well and better than my fat PS2. Well, my fat PS2 is 6 years old and I recently got my slim PS2 a few months ago, so I can't really argue there...

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  3. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

All right. Dang, I really wanted a slim, they are so sexy, but if the game compatibility is what I want, then the fat ps2 is what I should get then.

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Well, the difference in compatability isn't really much. The only reason I was complaining so much was because when I tried to play my PSX games, a good number of them I deeply wanted to play but I couldn't because there were difficulities and complications happening to each and every one I tried from loading to freezes except for the obvious titles they had to get working since more people have those games i.e. FF8, FF9, Chrono Cross, etc... As for the PS2 games, I had a great time with them except my PS2 CD-Based games. I should have been more accurate, my bad. I hope this clears up things more.

5. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

I really think that you should get a Slim one
    becouse
    compatibility with PSX is Fine.
    Plays DVDs better.
    Plays PS2 games better comp.
    Plays DVD-9M better.
    Recent games are configured for Slim.
    better support avilable for slim.

6. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

FAT ps2.

More compatibillity with everything.

7. oxygene85

oxygene85 Member

Are there anybody can play PSX games on DVD media??? Cause I don't want to use CD-R media on my new PS2 console...

8. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

No it's not possible YET.

9. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

how about the rest of you guys, do any of you have problems playing relatively new burnt games on the slim console?

10. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

No problems! AS FAR AS you use quality media
    I use Sony DVD-R @4x and games work as good as ORIGINALS
    I have burnt following games which work BRILLIANT!
    1)Burnout Dominator
    2)Heatseeker
    3)Resicent Evil Code Veronica
    4)Spider-Man 3
    5)God Of War 2 (DVD-5)
    6)TestDrive Unlimited
    7) TMNT The Game

I think i red somewhere that slims have lots of compatibility issues FIXED.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  11. oxygene85

oxygene85 Member

My PS2 is 75004 model. Usually I download games old or new or latest from rapidshare.com (or .de) and I never had a problem after burn this games to DVD. I am using Verbatim (Advanced Azo +) DVD-R and burn it always at 2x I use updated Nero Premium. My DVD Recorder is LG 4165B White. I am very rest and pleased cause of PROBLEMLESS...( My chip is Mars Pro Chip)

12. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

that is awesome, can you tell me how easy it is to burn god of wars 1 and 2, because they are dvd-9 discs, is it a major pain to compress it to dvd-5?

Or is it easier to make a straight copy to dvd-9? (Is this easier?)

13. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

rdn98, if you want to learn how to convert (basically downsize) your DVD9 copy of God of War 1 or 2 onto a DVD5, go check out the stickies under the PS2 DVD Backup Discussion section of the afterdawn forums here. It's very thorough and has been asked numerous times.

and to NHS2008, about what you said: "I think i red somewhere that slims have lots of compatibility issues FIXED." For PS2 games, many of them were fixed like you've said, however, if you wanted to play PSX games like me and a whole lot of them, you'll discover some very noticeable problems happening throughout the course of the game which either makes playing the PSX game unbearable, unplayable, or extremely annoying. I believe it's mainly due to a lackluster hardware on the slim PS2 that's inferior to the fat PS2s of old (v4~v9 although from what's been said the v5~v7 was the best? dunno for sure).

Anyway, the one thing that concerns me about my slim PS2 is how badly the overheat issue plagues it when I'm playing originals/imports or backups on it. I've managed to reduce my playing time on my v15 silver slim PS2 to about 1~2 hours just so I could avoid noticeable slowdowns in games like Tales of the Abyss and even Valkyrie Profile Silmeria (both originals) after an extensive playthroughs. I plan to mod my v5/v6 (haven't look inside at all) when the laser finally dies so I could also get a laser replacement at the same time for convenience, and plus, the ventilation system is quite better than the slim PS2s.

14. YoungGeek

YoungGeek Member

Well theres different versions of the slim ps2s, mine is v14 witch has compatibility issues with some ps1 games and even ps2 game see list http://www.us.playstation.com/News/ConsumerAlerts/softwareTitles_75001.html
    otherwise it doesn't really matter, just try to stay away form v14 if you want to play any of the games on that list, every other ps2 is fine, if you want a slim I'm sure you would be fine if you stay away form v14!

15. NHS2008

NHS2008 Regular member

I had V12 which paased away few months ago(sob)
    which by far was best at handling PSX games. But it used used to heatup a lot REAL HOT. and Laser problems were also very often
    but now I have V16 with DMS clone Which doesnt play some PSX games that I really liked (Destrution Derby 2 RAW)
    With V16 it does'nt heatup much plays games smoothly even when played for 5+ hours. Works good.

16. 5h4d0wXXX

5h4d0wXXX Member

the fat ps2 is the best way to go. its alot easier to play backups because you can softmod or modchip it. (www.exploitstation.com for softmod)the fat ps2 also can have an internal hd. although if your want to play online you need the network adapter