1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good deal?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by clay7676, Feb 7, 2007.

1. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

I recently bought a custom made computer. Tell me if you think it was a good deal or not.

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
    160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    Free upgrade from DVD to DVDRW 16x
    256MB NVIDIA Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
    Black USB keyboard
    Black USB mouse
    Integrated 7.1 Sound channel

Total= $549 American dollars.

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

Its pretty good you could have got better but thats near the best
    Although its not bad the 7300le Looks "Good" but comparing it to ithers makews it suck you will need to update your gpu its a "Crapier" Nvidia Card.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

i think you got your moneys worth for sure.
    Yes if you wanted to spend twice as much you could have built yourself a system that would be better. But for under $600 that system is pretty strong.
    You may need to upgrade the video card to a GeForce 7600GT for some newer games to run flawless, and possibly add another 1GB of RAM down the road but all in all i think you got a very good deal

I have a friend in the market for a new one, do you mind me asking where you bought it?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  4. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

I actually got it from Dell.com, you'd think that they would have the highest prices for there systems but they had 2 deals going on and one of is still going on. The website is http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bdcwbbz&cs=04&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN
    The 2 deals were 100 dollars off and a free upgrade to dvd to dvdrw. But the 100 dollars off deal ends at the end of today, the 8th.

And I was actually told and looked on the website that the Turbocache gives it better quality but not sure. Post if you know anything about that

5. elokito

elokito Regular member

turbo cache steals ram from ure pc (and ram is something u cant afford loosing when running vista) so yes buying a video card and/or adding another 1gb of ram would boost up ure gaming

I would go and add another 1gb of ram vista sure will like that then if ure a gamer and need more fps then u could buy another video card but I would recommend that u buy nother 1gb of ram asap for vista

6. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

Is there anyway to not use the extra ram in the turbocache?
    And if it eats it up a lot i have XP pro sp2 so i can use that

7. elokito

elokito Regular member

i really dnt know my best guess is messing around with the drivers

8. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I would throw XP SP2 on there since you have it. Why have an unstable, untested, crippled, resource-hog of an OS, when you can have one that is the exact opposite and is known to be terrific? If the major bugs get worked out of Vista, in a year or two, and the crippling DRM is bypassed, then you might want to consider downgrading to Vista. Until then, don't mess around with what is essentially a beta product. In the meantime, if you like the Vista look, try downloading the Vista Transformation Pack.

9. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, i have XP Pro myself and have no intentions of switching to Vista until they make me. The whole concept of Vista just pisses me off. Buy or get the core system, then have to purchase any upgrades you need. some being a lifetime update and others being like a yearly subscription. JUST GIVE ME MY DARN OS ALREADY!
    the day you can not use XP Pro anymore is the day i install and learn Linux or something else.

10. elokito

elokito Regular member

dunker its a shame i tought the exact same way as u did i tested out some vista beta os and now i have installed vista x64 ultimate and i changed my mind completely if u have a good pc with enough ram and a good cpu u should switch to vista if not then stick with xp as far as ive had vista ultimate (about a week) i havent seen any bugs or random crashes

its all good (as long as u have a good pc)

11. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

Well I have a good proccesor, but would lets say 1.4 gb of ram be enough for vista?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  12. elokito

elokito Regular member

yep that will b good