1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good dvd player for watching back up movies

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by chs2004, Oct 31, 2004.

1. chs2004

chs2004 Member

hi i was just wondering if anyone knew of a good dvd player to watch you backed up dvds on. i have a cheap dvd/vhs player and an xbox and most of my movies will freeze on either or.. and then when i put them in the other player it wont freeze at the same spot so i know its not the disc most of the time. i was just wondering if anyone knew of a good home dvd player. thank you

2. ashj

ashj Regular member

Hi,

I have a pioneer dv-464 and its played everything so far, over 200+ back ups of my dvds.

3. wick780

wick780 Member

Good ol' apex. Never have any problems and they are cheap priced. Anywhere from $25-100 bucks.

4. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

The Sony NS425 has been the hands down winner in my house. I have eight players (6 Sony, 1 Toshiba, and my son's Apex).

My more expensive Sony NS725 is picky and my two Sony DVD jukeboxes are picky. I have found that my son's Apex plays most DVD+R's with no problem.

Since changing over to Nero as my burning tool (a week ago), I have had no problems with ANY of my players!!

Hope this helps!

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey chs2004, My sony ns-325 has never failed me yet.It even plays damaged discs like scratches and flake chips.It plays all my backups I burn on both pc burners and standalone burner where as my apex and cyberhome dvd recorders are picky.Later

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey again sch2004, i looked at your original post:Your standalone player and xbox freezing on your backups but ok on others. It just could be a simple media change or burnspeed change.If you haven't tried that yet.I don't know what brand of media you are using, but you might try a higher quality media by mcc. Most burners and player have a lot of variations between them.Try those two and it could save you some $. Later

7. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I was having similar problems with my XBOX and Sony players (except the NS425). If the backup was bad the picture would freeze, jump, freeze, jump, etc. for the entire movie. On the XBOX the picture fades dark, then bright on all burned DVDs.

Sometimes I could burn another copy and it would work fine; or I'd change to 4x media to get a slower cleaner burn.

Since I started using Nero the freezing problem has stopped. I have two Sony DRU-700A's and one DRU-510A. Using Memorex 4x or 8x and Verbatim 8x media.

Regards!

8. chs2004

chs2004 Member

thanks alot for the input i bought a sony dvd player (forgot which model number ill reply later) and have yet to have a skipped disk...well worth the 119 dollars!!

9. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I'm guessing it's the new NS775. I believe they updated the NS725 with newer firmware that is even more compatible with burned media. Similar to the abilities of the NS425. I actually got two of the NS425's for FREE (opened two checking accounts with Citibank during a promotion last year).

I think someone mentioned this, but I have also found that it will play damaged retail or rented discs - when my other players give me a bad disc error.

Good purchase!!

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I have a Sony NS715? DVD player. It will play anything, even questionable media. I burned a DVD backup recently, and my PC burner, a good Plextor, couldn't read it because of some media error. I popped it into my Sony and it read it without a problem.