1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good DVD+R DVDRW Media for Plextor PX-708A

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by tally7, Mar 11, 2004.

1. tally7

tally7 Member

I have a Plextor PX708A and I am looking for DVD media recommendations from other users who have used the products. I live in the US so there are many brands retail and on the internet for DVD +R & DVDRW disk. I'd appreciate any feedback.

thanks in advance.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ritek G04's are the ticket for your 708. Both + and - work extremely well in mine with the +R's burning in 8-9 minutes.

3. ERICST

ERICST Guest

where can u get those? I have never herd of them.

4. tally7

tally7 Member

If you live in the US newegg.com has them. I just purchase a qty of 50 DVD+R, RX for $52 and shipping was free via Fedex. This was based on Nephilim experience with them.

5. Reader650

Reader650 Member

TDK 4x +R work great for me, fast and reliable. If you look around you can find them for around $1 each.
    I have a Plextor 708A as well.

6. Nephilim

I would be careful with the TDK 4X +R. Another forumite bought some recently and found them to be manufactured by CMC which is junk instead of the normal Ricoh which is good stuff.

7. tally7

tally7 Member

I just received my shipment of Ridata DVD+R 4.7G, 50 pack from NEWEGG and have made successful backups with no problems.

8. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Ritek G04's are great. I advise you to look out for TDK media too. My friend gave me about 20 DVD-R's, because his burner took a crap, and I was only able to burn a few successfully.

I just hope Ritek will still be perfect in the DVD9 era...

(and yes in my sig. I have a TDK CD burner...I love that burner, I just don't like their media. That might sound contradicting or odd, but I don't know how to explain it).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 3.2Ghz HT - 226Watt Peltier & Water Cooled
    1GB Dual Channel DDR400 PC-3200
    2x 120GB Seagate Cheetah10K.6 10,000RPM RAID-0
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128Mb - Water Cooled
    Plextor PX-708A & TDK 40x20x52x[/small]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2004
  9. garpt

garpt Member

My PX-708A LOVES VERBATIM. Write the 4x verb.s at 8x with ease, play without a gltch in my standalones. RITEK is an excellent choice, too, may be a bit harder to find. AVOID FUJI at all costs. Bought a spindle of 50 on a salesman's recommendation. They write very slowly and don't play well at all on any of my standalones.
    Gary

10. ERICST

ERICST Guest

I have the 504A and so far Verbatim & Maxell are the only one's that will work at all. I bought a 25 pack of Memorex ,25 pack of HP & a 25 pack of Imation and my 504A LAUGH and spit them out at me! Im not kidding.

11. pizzafish

pizzafish Member

which riteks on newegg.com are +r g04s? i could be wrong, but i could not find +r g04s. thanks for any help.

12. Steve83

Steve83 Member

I burn CMC, Verbatim, TDK, Fuji, Ricoh, Optodisc, Memorex, and any other brand in my HP200i and my PX-708a with no problems. I haven't found a brand or mfr. yet that won't work in everything I have, and I haven't noticed a big difference in burn times by brand. The Plextor is in an HP Pavilllion 325c that I got recently.

13. pizzafish

pizzafish Member

I gather that the RITEK G04s are -r, and the RITEK RICOHs are +r. And also I could not find Taiyo Yudens which are +r.

I'm interested in getting +r. I just bought the ritek +r from newegg.com 50 pack for $50, free shipping.

14. infern65

infern65 Member

Anyone else have a problem with TY on a 708?

I've only had the drive about a month. First discs I used were CompUSA +R and -R. I bought these just to see how bad cheap discs were. First disc completed burn but didn't play back well. Next 19 (10 +r, 9 -r) worked perfect. I just got a 25 pack of TY from Meritline and 2 of first 4 disc have failed halfway through burn process.

Anyone else have problems?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  15. Crazycro

Crazycro Member

Remember speed plays a major role especially with cheap media. Try slower speeds if possible. I have had a 708-A for a little under a year and have been extremly happy using 4x Memorex. All +r -r and rw's.
    Check your local Best buy, they always have them on sale 50 dvds for $50.00 can't beat that. Remember to update your firmware as well.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  16. greasygee

greasygee Member

17. camil

camil Member

I have a plextor PX-708A and it doesn't let coping on the fly. I am using nero burning rom. Any sugestions?

18. ganz

ganz Guest

I have a quick question, how do you know or, better phrased, how do you find out what kind of discs you have, aside from what they say on top? I have a bunch of TDK 4x +R discs that provide me with excellent results every time... Is there somewhere you can find out this info?

19. Nephilim

20. Nephilim

We need to know how your drives are set up on your IDE cables and whether you're doing data or video. It isn't the drive itself, it's most likely something with your system or settings.

Copying on the fly is generally a great recipe for errors and bad burns while only saving a minimal amount of time. It's best to let the software make a temporary file on your hard drive for doing a disc to disc copy which hardly takes more time than on the fly.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro/M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004