1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good DVD Rom Drive For Ripping?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by wokeye, Aug 31, 2004.

1. wokeye

wokeye Member

I am having problems with my Optorite DD201 DVD writer when ripping discs. Many discs it won't read and when I try them on a friends Computer it works no problems with the same DVD and same software (Shrink). My writer is fine for writing but getting rubbish at reading.

So now I am looking for just a DVD rom drive to rip the DVD, can anyone tell me what is the best type of drive for this, and probably best with scatched DVD's etc? I was probably thinking of maybe a Liteon LTD-165 unless anyone knows any better?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I can think of none better. My Lite-On 166S does an outstanding job :)

3. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Nope, any DVD rom from Lite-on seems to work well as a riper for DVD,Games or music.

4. KAMAAINA

KAMAAINA Guest

I'm new to A.D. as a member though I've refered this site and to this site often for info. Personaly, I and my son have been using LG's 4082B with no problems at all. Neither in media or software. We also have LG DVD-Roms and LG CD burners. The DVD burners and Roms use ALL media forms (+/-) except RAM in cartridge form disc's work fine, but why use RAM when RW is less exspensive. All are moderately priced, and apear to have no combatibility problems as yet. Hope to get more useful info in the future.

5. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

KAMAAINA the reason I Like the lite-on DVD Roms is because in all the years that I have built my own PC (since 1996) I have used many different brands(Pionner,NEC,Pasonnic, Toshiba,Plextor and many others)and at this point in time they are in my opinion the best price point and value.

They rip any DVD move, Game, audio CD with out any problems (they don’t have to be flashed with any special firmware like other ROMS do).

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  6. KAMAAINA

KAMAAINA Guest

redant, This is the 7th pc i've built for my house hold, the 4th in 2 months as i have an EXTREMELY large family. For the same reasons is why i've chosen the LG IT BURNS EVERYTHING! mine cost $69 each as of last night burned 600 movies 400 cd's und uncountable games. with only 10 coasters but only out of cd-r. No dvd media has had a failure. only have to disable DVD-RAM capability to burn a cd, small check box. The NEWBIE is REALLY only to AD.com not pc's only have one 'readymade'HP my son bought 'cause he wouldn't wait 2weeks.