1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good or bad mod chips?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by TeeGe22, Dec 9, 2002.

1. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

hey i was looking at a Neo Key-SBOX Modchip for PS2 that just plugs into your USB port...that seems really easy and there is no soldering or anything just plug it in with a gameshark 2 or action replay 2... is it that simple? and if it is why r u taking your hole PS2 apart with the chance of it breaking?? and the USB plug in modchips are not that hard to find i got my at Yahoo.com soo there has to b a reason

thxs 4 who ever helps

TeeGe The Bixyman

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2002
  2. archieq

archieq Guest

The Neo Key-SBOX Modchip for PS2 still requires to solder a jumper to connect two points on the motherboard aside from just plugging the SBOX to the USB port. I'm sorry to say that if you were not aware of that, you'll find that the chip won't work just by plugging it to the USB port. You will still have to solder the jumper I mentioned above which is dependent on what version PS2 you have for which points to connect. If you want no soldering at all, there is a no solder chip available for a version 4 and version 5/6 which will require you to still open the PS2 and sandwich the chip between the ribbon cable and connector.

3. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

o i didnt c that.... is there a Mod chip anywhere that u dont have to take apart the hole thing to use it???

Teege

4. archieq

archieq Guest

Just do a search for PS2 no solder mod. They are everywhere on the internet. You have to figure out which PS2 version you have. They are available for version 4/5/6 only. But you have to know specifically which version you have before you order. The V4 No Solder R Mod is very different from the V5/V6 No Solder R Mod, they won't interchange. When you find the site, they'll usually have a guide to find out what version PS2 you have.

5. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

ok THXS....

are the USB Ports mod chips good or bad what r the ups and downs of them???

6. archieq

archieq Guest

The Neo-Key SBOX is a good chip but like I said, you still have to solder two points on the motherboard. If you have to go thru that trouble and can't really do it yourself, just have a no swap mod chip installed instead. The Neo-Key SBOX just like the No solder R Mod, still requires the swap method using GS2 or AR2. Don't ask me which chip is the best because I don't know. I have used the No Solder R Mod and it works very well and according to some sources on the Internet, it's supposed to be the most stable chip right now and of course, the easiest to install.

7. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

i dont no anything about taking apart a system but how u said that all u have to do it connect 2 things to use the Neo-Key SBOX well i guess i will have to do that.... sounds easy but i have the worst luck with easy things...i was looking on the internet about "no soldering" mod chips sure i got a lot of resolts but most of them u still need to do some basic taking apart the PS2... i will keep looking 4 one that u dont have to take apart everything if any 1 reading this that can find 1 Mod Chip that u dont have to take apart the PS2 post the URL.... i think i might just b better off buying like a Magic 2 and paying some 1 to do it 4 me...

8. archieq

archieq Guest

Yes, you might just have to pay somebody to do it for you because if you don't even know how to open the PS2, then you won't be able to install the No solder R Mod and even with that you have to be careful since you're dealing with a flat ribbon cable. As far as the SBOX is concerned, it's the same thing, you have to open the PS2 and disconnect enough screws and wire connectors to get to the motherboard and solder the two points - still a lot more complicated than doing the No Solder R Mod since that is basically just under the top cover and one side of the unit. If you can take the top cover off, you can almost do it. But if you don't think you can, just send your unit off to get a no swap installed if you can't find anybody local. I know a lof of people that found it very hard to install any kind of mod chip on their PS2 and even the No Solder, they still can't figure it out.

9. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

lets c i dont know half the stuff u just said about the install soo i guess i would have to give it to some 1 but isnt that kinda costly??? and it isnt really legal in the US..

10. agentgrit

agentgrit Member

Where can I pick up a no solder r mod from for a good price? Also, how I go about asking for local installation personnel? Also, if caught buying or burning is it illegal? Also, with no solder rmod which dvd burner is best or most compatible?

11. archieq

archieq Guest

I don't know about the legal aspects of this matter. I'm backing up games I own to use with the modchip. As far as price, you'll have to search. I got mine for about $22.00 with shipping included. Like I said, there is no such mod chip that don't require opening the PS2 whether it be SBOX, No Solder, or No Swap (Magic 2/3, Apple, Ultra, etc.). I repeat, the easiest one to install is the No solder R mod. I don't know where to lead you to find somebody to install it for you. If you can't even open the PS2, you have no choice except to find somebody that can do it and if there's nobody local, I'm afraid you'll have to spend money to get it installed somewhere where you have to send it off. You should find one of these places on the Internet also and one I noticed the other day a site that charges $60.00 to install a No Solder R Mod plus $15.00 to ship it back to you. I think that's too much since it's not really that hard but if you can't do it, you can't do it. And if you think it cost too much, then forget it!

12. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

ok kewl another thing is that i heard that there is a site that u can download PS2 games that r made 4 the PS2 and burn them onto disks and u can play them on your PS2 with a instaled mod chip.. instead of having to rent them and copy them.... 1 more thing, how do u burn CD's for the PS2 do u need a DVD burner to burn certain games... do u need a certain programs to copy games and if u do what do u say works best...???

13. archieq

archieq Guest

By the way, when you buy any of these chips (SBOX, No Solder, Messiah, Magic, Apple, Ultra, etc.), they come with the installation instructions and even before you buy, you can look at the install instructions online to see if you can do it by yourself or not before you order. Believe me, the No Solder is very easy to install. A lot easier than you think especially with the instructions.

14. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

ok kewl another thing is that i heard that there is a site that u can download PS2 games that r made 4 the PS2 and burn them onto disks and u can play them on your PS2 with a instaled mod chip.. instead of having to rent them and copy them.... 1 more thing, how do u burn CD's for the PS2 do u need a DVD burner to burn certain games... do u need a certain programs to copy games and if u do what do u say works best...???

15. archieq

archieq Guest

I don't know about this download site for PS2 games but as far as burning them: CD burner for PS2 CD based games and DVD burner for PS2 DVD based games. If you get a DVD-R/RW (not +R) burner (any brand) it should work with most versions of the PS2 except the very first ones to come out like V1 and V2 (that's what I read in these forums - I have a V4 and my nephew has a V5 and they both read DVD-R) and good quality media like Ritek for DVD-R and just about any brand for CD-R. Just about all of the DVD burners I've seen will also burn CDs. Nero seems to be the choice for burning CDs and DVDs. I think I've given you as much information I can give.

16. TeeGe22

TeeGe22 Guest

soo it is good to have a CD burner and a DVD burner for all of your copying needs or can u do both with a DVD burner? and how can u tell if u need to use a DVD or a CD burner?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2002
  17. archieq

archieq Guest

I already told you - just about any DVD burner will also work as a CD burner. PS2 games are marked CD or DVD to know which is which. Some games are too large to fit on CD so they are on DVD. That's common sense!

18. agentgrit

agentgrit Member

I live in L.A. any recomendations for installers. If not I sure I can do it my self if I have step by step instructions. Do the modchip come with installation instructions or is there a site with intricate instructions?

19. agentgrit

agentgrit Member

Actually, my bad I just scrolled up and just got the answer you gave the other guy. I'm at work so its hard for me to read everything without getting caught I'm probably anoying the s#$t out of you.

20. agentgrit

agentgrit Member

Archieq_ You are the man. Thanks for the info. You should get paid for this. Why do they have you listed as a newbie? Are the new PS2s able to modchipped? Because I havent even purchased my ps2 yet I just wanted to find it out before I got it.