1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Quality DVD that can be used w/ Lightscribe

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by warrock, Mar 4, 2007.

1. warrock

warrock Member

I just bought a liteon external burner that has lightscribe and wanted to use the lightscribe feature but it says I need lightscribe discs. Now I was going to buy Verbatim media, since everyone recommends it, but are there other medias that are compatible with lightscribe or am I going to be forced to buy lightscribe?

Also are lightscribe DVD's just as good as Verbatim? If so where can I go to purchase them for cheap in bulk?

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You need to learn a bit about media. Lightscribe is a method of laser printing the label of a disc with the burner using special lightscribe discs. Lightscribe discs are manufactured by different manufacturers. Verbatim is a brand of DVDs. Verbatim media is manufactured by different manufacturers (usually the better ones).

Verbatim sells lightscribe DVDs. So you can have your cake and eat it too. ;)

3. warrock

warrock Member

sorry i didnt make it clear. I meant to say I was thinking about buying a non lightscribe DVD+R by Verbatim. There's a 100 pack at newegg for 30 dollars http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817507005

but since this verbatim disk cant use lightscribe, I was looking for another media that will be compatible with lightscribe, also was wondering where's the cheapest place to buy a blank DVD disc that was lightscribe compatible?

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'll go over it once again, maybe you misunderstood me. A non lightscribe media works just fine in a lightscribe burner. Lightscribe only deals with the label. A lightscribe burner will burn a label image to the back of a lightscribe disc. It won't try to burn to the back of a non-lightscribe disc if you tried. Burning to the recordable side of the disc has nothing to do with lightscribe. So you can record to whatever you like as long as it is the right format (+/-R/RW and DL) You only need a lightscribe disc if you want to burn a lightscribe label with the lightscribe burner. I'll repeat, you can burn anything you want as long as the format is supported. Lightscribe is not a format as far as DVD recordable formats go.

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If you want them, go ahead and buy them. They will work in a lightscribe burner. You apparently don't understand about lightscribe.

6. warrock

warrock Member

Oh sorry I guess, I wasn't really clear. I've been burning with normal non-lightscribe discs (already made about (200dvds), but since I just got a new external burner that came with lightscribe I just realized that I could start making labels with lightscribe discs.

Now since I'm going to be purchasing more medias since I'm running out, I was either thinking about if it was worth tying lightscribe discs. Now I wanted to ask you guys who has feedbacks on lightscribe discs like Verbatim or TDK (lightscribe) media if they are any good? I guess I can't really go wrong with a Verbatim (non-lightscribe) media since it's a lot cheaper than the lightscribe types but i wanted to ask maybe one of you might know of a place that sells lightscribe discs for cheap.

7. coachop94

coachop94 Guest

You can find them at Walmart in a 10pk. Can't remember the price but not they are reasonable.Have not tried the TDK brand. The Verbs are the best.

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

If u gunna buy lightscribe disks i would only recommend the Verbs.

9. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Have u read the posts that Pacman777 supplied?

Just becuz u have a lightscribe burner does not mean u have to use LightScribe media.

If u want to use lightscribe media Verbatims are the best

As far as cheapest places, heres some websites for ya

supermediastore.com my favorite shop for media.
    Meritline.com
    Newegg.com
    Rima.com