1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good quality VCD?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sapne99, Apr 5, 2002.

1. sapne99

sapne99 Guest

Hi!

I have created now quite many VCDs (using TMPGEnc and Nero) but I am not satisfied with any of them.

I mean I know that the quality of a VCD depends very much upon the quality of the source file but I have created VCDs from DVD rips and they dont satisy me either.

I have rented and watched professionally VCD movies and those are much better than mine. The Question is:

what software do they use?

thank u

sapne

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

It kinda depends on what level of quality you are looking for, but using the de-noise filter in tmpeg (I think that would be what it's called in English, since I use the Japanese version), then you end up with a somewhat smoother video than normal, without the blockiness you get with default tmpeg settings.

3. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Sapne99: You say "VCDs from DVD rips".. Do you mean you've used a DivX file as source? In that case you can never obtain the same quality as you see on "professional" VCDs. They are always encoded directly from original DVDs without first mangling them with DivX.

4. sapne99

sapne99 Guest

Ketola

I dint know that they encoded directly from DVD and I am kinda sure they don't because the movies havent even come in DVD when VCDs come in the market.

But if they do, can you tell me how? I mean what software do they use for this purpose?

thank u

5. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

you could always make svcd's but as ketola said ..i noticed you said "but I have created VCDs from DVD rips" ......from dvd RIPS.
    which does mean from an already compressed file..keep in mind dvd's are compressed also..they are mpeg2..but if you wanna learn more about doing ripping yourself..then this forum can teach you and also read everything on
    http://forum.digital-digest.com

6. sapne99

sapne99 Guest

JohnBMX

I have been at ur suggested site many times but couldn't find the answer to my question:

how to make high quality or professional VCDs?

As I said before I know for sure that the VCD films I have seen are not encoded directly from DVDs. Then what software do they use to make so high quality VCDs?

I have made some SVCDs too but they aren't what I want either, although SVCDs are in mpeg-2 format like DVD.

sapne

7. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

For DVD to VCD, check out our guide at:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm

The quality of the VCD depends mostly on the quality of the source file. The differences between the top MPEG encoders, namely Cinecraft, TMPGEnc, and Panasonic, are marginal at best. Also there are DVD screeners "available" of upcoming DVD titles. Many pirated VCDs have been encoded from these screener discs.

8. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

9. Lachman

Lachman Guest

Hi,

Can anyone give some tips on how best to ensure VCD quality is sustained while burning? thanks

10. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

why? does burning it affect the quality??

11. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Burning doesn't affect the quality. Only problem that newbies come across is that two major recording tools, Nero and EZCD, suggest that you "re-encode the material because it is not VCD compatible" in case of non-compatible VCD clips. This obviously makes the quality go crappy, but it doesn't have anything to do with burning.

If you follow the DVD->VCD guide Ketola posted above, you get 100% VCD compatible video files. Then just use your favourite tool to burn it as VCD (guide for using Nero to burn VCDs can be found from our article section as well).

12. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

to drd..i was being sarcastic..lol

the reason why nero asks for you to re-encode
    is as stated above..its encoded wrong..the newer versions of nero will re-encode it for you..but I dont advise this as stated above it turns to crap...use nero only to burn.

i also wanted to say great guide..its just about exactly as i do it..very simple...i am one of those people who does tweak a bit further
    though. but if someone doesnt know what they are doing and they follow that guide..they are gonna seem pro. and they are also gonna wonder why does everyone els have so much trouble and they have to use like 5 programs to get a good vid.