1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google +/- Search Guide - Find what you want the first time, every time.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by handsom, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. handsom

    handsom Regular member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1,210
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    I just wrote this up; because we get a lot of new members asking where to find 'item x' and saying that they can't find it on google. In my personal experience, I've found that if it exists on the net, you can find 99% of it on google; and if you're looking for the other 1%... Don't. lol.

    Anyways, wrote this to help all the people who can't find their information or files on google; and I will be including links to it often, whenever I hear that "it's not on google"... Because I know it is.

    +/- searches are really simple, and VERY effective, so here is a quick tutorial explaining everything about them.

    +"Google will only list a result if this exact phrase is in it"
    -"Google will remove anything that's in these brackets from my results"

    If this is ruling out too many results, and you're getting nothing, try breaking it up a little bit; for example, let's imagine you want to find information on 'bananas, because you like them and they are healthy':

    This would be a bad way to do it:

    +"Bananas are good and bananas are healthy for me"
    If google doesn't find that exact phrase, it won't list it. So, if you want, you can plug in multiple sets of +/- brackets to help your search:

    +"bananas" +"healthy" +"good"

    Now google will find articles with those words, but not necessarily in that order. But let's imagine you're getting some results that you don't want, let's imagine that the word bananas is causing a lot of results from 'mature entertainment' websites. Obviously, that isn't what you're trying to find, so you would try this:

    +"bananas" +"healthy" +"good" -"adult"

    This way, google would filter out any mention of the word adult in your searches. This can help a lot when trying to narrow results down.

    If you aren't getting results, try using a few less words, or different ones; this method is so strong, that you can accidentally filter out your own results if you use the wrong words. Also, it doesn't matter what order they're in much, however it will put results for the first +"word" in many cases.

    Also, as a sidenote, some people simply use the + and - without the quotes, this is the same idea except that the quotes basically mean "ONLY IF" whereas it's a little less strict of a search without them, some people have luck with that, I don't personally do it without quotes ever anymore.

    To anyone who receives this as a link, I hope this helps!
     
  2. tripplite

    tripplite Guest

  3. handsom

    handsom Regular member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1,210
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    46
    lol; a lot of people have never heard of this, but it's darned effective, no?
     

Share This Page