1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOP Structure

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by FoxHound, Jan 15, 2003.

1. FoxHound

FoxHound Guest

Hello, I am new to Mpeg structure. I use TMPGEnc and I changed the GOP structure from I=1 P=5 B=2(standard) to I=2 P=3 B=1. Is there anything wrong with this? I checked the amount of space they take up and it is the same. Also, to me, it looks like the change I made looked better. Can someone help me understand GOP structure and tell me if what I did is for the better or worse. Thank You!

Also, when I encoded standard GOP it took 1:48 sec. while my own way took 1:43 sec. to encode the 1:43 sec. segment!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2003
  2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I would think that the GOP you created would cause the size of the mpeg stream to be larger due to the number of I frames. Are you sure that filesize is the same? Perhaps leaving the 'stream type' setting under 'system' as Video-CD causes the GOP structure not to take change unless you change it to non-standard?

KVCD is a site that experiments with weird GOPs to push your DVD player's capabilities and VCD properties. Worth looking into if you're interested. http://www.kvcd.net