1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOT A GOOD ONE FOR SACD 5.1 AND DVD-A

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by born1974, Dec 7, 2004.

1. born1974

born1974 Member

I have darkside on sacd. but no sacd player. However i have a 5.1 sterio with speakers and a dvd player link with optical to it. Question is, is it possible to rip the sacd to an image or iso file while retaining the 5.1 then converting it to dvd-a or somthing, then burn it to a dvd audio so i can pot it in my dvd player and here the true 5.1, or am i in over my head. big thanx if you can set my mind free.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

since computer drives do not read sacds, there is currently no way to rip them on a computer and make an image of them. with dvd-audio gaining much more popularity, it is doubtful sacd will last much longer unfortunately.

3. RCBabcock

RCBabcock Member

Man, buy yourself a cheap SACD player! I realize not everyone agrees with the way it was mixed (Alan Parsons, for instance, was not consulted and doesn't like the disc), but I love it. THAT'S what I always wished it sounded like!

As far as I know, there's no computer solution to rip DSD to your PC. Indeed, that's one of the main reasons the format exists. Sony & Philips were facing the expiration of their CD patents and needed a new revenue stream, plus the studios wanted a replacement for the CD that couldn't be copied.

SACD may eventually falter & fail, but you can certainly get a player pretty cheap. Even if you don't buy many more discs, it'll still play the DVDs and CDs you have now. I suggest you look into a cheap universal player like Pioneers DV- 565. They sell for only about $100-$125 USD and are nice transports, too. Another plus is that they're good with recordable DVDs.

4. ace62987

ace62987 Member

A while back, I went out and bought a relatively cheap Sony SACD player. I don't have a Home Theater Receiver, or 5.1 surround sound... but I do have 5.1 for my PC. I know that there is no way to "play" the DSD layer of SACD on a PC, but I thougt I could connect the Optical output on the SACD player to the Optical input of my Sound Plaster Audigy 2 Platinum card. Optical I/O can transfer 5.1 surround sound audio, so I thought this would work.

It does not.

The Optical I/O does handle 5.1 surround sound audio, but not the high resolution DSD audio that is present in the SACD layer. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was my test SACD. However, if you were desperate for 5.1 DSD audio, you might try this...

On the back of the SACD player are 6 RCA outputs for the Center, Front Left/Right, Surround Left/Right, LFR channels. Connect these to your Aux In 2 connectors on any Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum front bay and this [will] transfer the high resolution audio. I captured the audio using Adobe Audition 1.5 and analyzed the frequencies and found that after capturing Track 1's CD layer, then the SACD layer, I found that it was definitely getting the high resolution layer. Record all 6 channels seperately in mono using Adobe Audition 1.5 at 192000 Htz 32-bit (WARNING: very big files!) and then edit and mix all 6 files using the multichannel encoder to create one 5.1 channel file.

This would require a lot of time and HD space, but if you really want it, that's the only way I've found that will work. For me, I'm saving up my money.

5. born1974

born1974 Member

Hey thanx guys. I hoping I didn't have to buy an s.a.c.d. player for one album. I do now how to create a surround mix in audition then put in premier then to d.v.d. But maybe good news I'm seeing a lot more of the d.v.d. audio albums out and i think darkside of the moon would be top priority! so fade away s.a.c.d.
    I don't mind. i'm outty.

6. joesan5

joesan5 Member

if i do a 5.1 mix on audition or cubase - how can I get it on a dvd to play it back on my player??

THanks

JOe

7. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

This is how to do it with audition 1.5, BeSweet, and Encore DVD 1.

First make sure you have each file at 48Khz. Then create a new multitrack session at 48Khz. Drag each music file into its own track. To mix into surround, just set each to what speaker it came from. Export them as 6 mono wav files.

Create a text file that contains the information like
    D:\audition files\music_FL.wav
    D:\audition files\music_C.wav
    D:\audition files\music_FR.wav
    D:\audition files\music_Ls.wav
    D:\audition files\music_Rs.wav
    D:\audition files\music_LFE.wav
    Make sure they are in this order. Then rename the text file extention to .mux

Open BeSweet GUI and click AC3enc on the right side. Check 5.1 mix and I use intel. Click BeSweet on the right again. Click copy to clipboard. Then goto Start>run and paste in the info. It will take the 6 wav files and create one AC3 file from them.

Open Encore DVD or some DVD authoring program. Import the AC3 file as an asset. Create a menu with a link to the song. Throw in some still photos or something for video. Goto file>build DVD and burn it to a DVD. You can burn it to a CD but it cannot be played back on a DVD player, only a PC.

That should do it. Of course you need all this software but it isn't that hard to come by. [bold]P[/bold]lease remember [bold]2[/bold] [bold]P[/bold]ay for software. I'm still pretty drunk from last night so I might come back to edit this later and make sure it is sound.

Edit: Still seems okay, made a few spelling corrections.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  8. joesan5

joesan5 Member

what is besweet i cant seem to find them on the web?

9. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member