1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a .torrent file and are confused? Take a look

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Pop_Smith, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Alright, so I have been reading through some threads and it seems that people who are new to the whole BitTorrent thing think that they can just burn the .torrent file to a CD/DVD and thats it. So, here is a mini-walk though (sorry if this has already been done).

1)When you download a torrent file you need a BitTorrent Client. Most people recommend Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php, you can download the client and Java from there) for its newbie-friendly interface. I like it as its easy to run and can block the R$AA via its "SafePeer".

When setup Azureus, make sure that you set it to "associate" with the .torrent extention. This will automaticlly make the torrent begin downloading in Azureus when you double-click it.

2) The reason you need a BitTorrent client is because .torrents are simply "connections" or "starters", they "lead" you to the data which is being shared by Seeders (people with the complete file) and Leechers. (people who have not completed the file) Leechers may have parts of the torrent data, they also upload what parts they have to others.

When you start the download of the torrent, you are given random parts of it (i.e. you may recieve part 200 of 50,000 first, then part 30,050 etc.) when is later compilied (when you have downloaded every part) to forum the actual file, such as a music CD or a DVD.

3) Once you have downloaded the file, simply extract (most are compressed with WinRAR) it to where ever you want and burn it. You then can watch or play it like a normal burned game or movie.

If there is something that I need to add, send me a PM as I don't really want this forum to get messy :p.

Peace,

Pop Smith

2. dude845

dude845 Regular member

that was a pretty smart thing to post