1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got bad news from ModChipGuy today...$##(@%

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Sabor, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Sabor

Sabor Member

So what do you guys think? So here I am all excited and waiting for my fully modded ps2 with the dms3 modchip. Modchipguy decides to email me back and quotes, "Hello,
    Your system can not be modded. Your DVD rom drive is not functioning as
    it should. It plays cd based games but not DVD.

We are shipping back the system UPS GROUND for you.

Sorry we could not be of any more help.

Thanks!"

What do you guys think? Think he f&($k up the installation and messed up my ps2? I have no clue what im going to do now. I emailed him back asking him tons of questions and hoping he will give me a phone call so we can settle this. I asked for any kind of refund and hoping to get something back. Am really frustrated and dunno what went wrong wit the installation. All I know is I wished I would receive a more detailed explanation than the one I received. :(

2. Sabor

Sabor Member

looks like im F*)($#KED off $140 bucks altogether. ANY KIND OF INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I am really jacked off atm and want to talk to this guy. (@#$#@$ i just wish he return some kind of reimburstment back, I so broke atm :((((((

3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

did the ps2 play dvd's? before you send it to them? if yes they broke it... if not you can fix it but that will cost you few more bucks..... one more thing NEVER EVER trust amatures who install mod chips... they fusk up at least 3 out of 10 consoles..

4. Sabor

Sabor Member

Yes.. my ps2 worked perfectly. In the short 1 half year or so period that I have owned the system, I have barely touched it! This really reeks. I was playin DDR dvd game before I sent it to them so im SURE it works. I thought these guys were professionals but turns out they just dumped my system into the drain and wont even offer any kind of reimburstment. Guess when i receive my system i'll advertise it on ebay as PS1 system instead of 2 since it cant PLAY DVD... SUCKS...

I'm just lettin the forum know if you want to pick someone to mod your chip in the future.. sry bout the whines. If anyone can help me fix this problem, I'll appreciate it. I will prolly try to replace the dvd rom drive and see if it works after that. I want to know how much does it cost for the ps2? and if theres a diagram to install it by yourself. I dont want to pay another 100$ by some so called "professional" and have it blown up. Rather just blow it up myself.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  5. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

heres another advice DONT try installing the chip yourself! you will brake the ps2 even more even beyond the point that it will boot into a black screen... then the cost of the repair will either be $200 or new ps2 for $250... i say sue the bastards!!... they broke hardware that cost pretty much... besides it DID play the dvd's... try to find spare parts specialy the lens of the ps2.. that should work alright after replacing the old lens being replaced with the new.. i could install a chip for you but i dont know where you live lol... just wait when you recive the ps2 and check it... another good thing look for a pre moded ps2's they always good you get a mod a brand new ps2 and in a price almost as a ps2 w/o a chip ^_^

6. Sabor

Sabor Member

so your saying all i need to do is replace the dvd lens and it should be working again? I asked the modchipguy to tell me what parts of the hardware or broken but still havent receive a reply. I just want to kno how much it would cost sum1 to replace the dvd lens or if theres a diagram. I searched for a place to buy a new dvd lens for 75$+shipping..

7. riles1026

riles1026 Guest

How did you pay? If you paid by credit card, I would call the card company and protest the charge.

8. G-Pappy

G-Pappy Member

Like Riles said if you paid by credit card simply do a chargeback and you should have no problem. If not spread the news wide and loud that they are a ripp off. Bad enoupgh they messed up your machine but to charge you on top of that.thats bad for business....maybe it got messed up in shipping...those lasers are a common problem...Wallyworld has a interesting exchange program...wink wink....or take it to a Sony store they will send you back a refurbished machine just make sure the chip is out. Its 150.00 in Canada.

9. Sabor

Sabor Member

Well i got another reply from modchipguy. I do like his service.. he responds to emails on a timely fashion which i do like. heres somethign he sent to me.

"We tried a cleaning and laser adjust with the problem still there.

The installation went as good as always. The chip responds to everything as it should, it boot to the Debug screen and plays CD-Rs and CD ROM imports fine. The original and DVD-Rs just spin and never read.

We took out the chip and metered all connections and everything is in order. It seems the drive is bad. We have seen this before only on faulty drive. May have happened in shipping?"

I just hope you guys dont get the wrong idea. His service is very good. I dont plan on reversing the payment since I guess it was bad luck on my part.. but hopefully modchipguy can replace the drive for me and get the orig/backup dvds to work.

Later

P.S. If any help/info can be provided on the problem that my ps2 has, please reply. I would like to see if theres any other option I can do to fix my ps2..

10. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

yeah i was right... it's the lens... they cant really fusk up with the install... that will either kill the board or the dvd controler and it will never spin again... replacing the whole dvd might help... or getting new lens... if that dont help try sending it to repair at some sony shop... that will surly fix it... but it's quite weird that it reads only cd's... it's a dvdrom... it should read cd/cd-r/rw/dvd/dvd-r/rw and dvd+r/rw first time i see this happens even if the chips of the dvd or the contorles got screwd this sould NOT happen.... just wait when you get it then ask questions i always say... so we wait ^_^