1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got Coasters???

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ChiPhiZD, Feb 21, 2005.

1. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

Ok this backing up of PS2 games is going to make me grey way before my time. I have spent a good portion of the last two weeks on these forums trying to find out how the hell to do this and all I keep getting is coasters.

First I was using the wrong media (DVD-R), but now I have every program possible under the sun, Nero, Decrpyter, Alcohol, ISOBuster, WinImage, CDDVD Gen, and nothing is working.

I have a brand new slim ps2 (under 2 months old) I purchased the replacement flip top, and I have swap magic 3.3.

So before I couldnt even get the games to load off of my swap discs...now they load but all I get now is a BLACK SCREEN. The games still spins and for example, Mercenaries will go right to the main loading screen and freeze.

So now i can add that game to the list of games that i have had no luck trying to back up....Madden 2k5, NFSU2, Hot Shots Golf Fore, and now Mercenaries.

I feel that I totally wasted money buying my replacement fliptop and pretty soon it will be on ebay if i cant get this to work...Shouldnt be that hard, i mean afterall i have made backups of about 200 DVD movies that I have.

Plz help =)

2. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

OH and I am using Memorex DVD+R 4X for media.

3. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

OH and I am using Memorex DVD+R 4X for media.

4. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

first of all..couldn't be 2 weeks you have been searching on this forum looking how to backup the games you have. because they are all in the forum....mercenaries you need to rebuild the file or patch ithttp://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/5/146196. link for the one in the forum. link to the download http://blake.prohosting.com/wulfie66/merc.zip.http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/9/146196
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/9/146196.
    the ea games madden, all the ones you mention need to rebuild..

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Don't give up yet. I do not have a slim PS2 but have working backups of all of those games you listed. I will have my slim PS2 in a few weeks and can help you better once i use it.
    But as far as backing them up it is pretty simple after a few tries. Made a bunch of coasters myself when i first started out. Here is what i know.
    First off Mercenaries will not work unless you get the patch for it and use it to create a new ISO that you will burn. Otherwise it will not work.
    check out this post http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/forum_search_results.cfm
    Is is really long but on page 4-5 i think there is a link to the patch, also read to see that you have to change the name of the original ISO file to ptc-merc.iso before you run the patch or it will not work.
    Burn the game to hard drive
    copy patch to that folder
    rename the iso file
    run the patch and wait about 1/2 hour
    it will creat a new iso file, burn that to a disk and Mercenaries should work fine.
    I know you should just be able to backup NFSU2 without any other steps then what i listed below, the EA Games i am not sure anymore what i did.
    Use DVD Decrypter
    Put in original
    go to mode and select ISO read
    go to file icon and select where to save it
    when the green arrow/disc lights up press it and wait
    once it is done go to mode, select ISO Write
    go to folder icon again and select the MDS file that it created, not the ISO!
    Put in blank DVD
    When the arrow/disc lights up press it and burn away.
    That is all there is to DVD Decrypter really.
    I hope this helps some.
    Personally i always use Phillips DVD-R 8X discs, I never use Memorex though, have had problems getting them to work too. Try Imation or Phillips or Verbatim.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  6. ChiPhiZD

ChiPhiZD Member

Well Mercenaries worked using that patch...so thanks a ton...

I usually use Ritek G04 DVD+R but ran out and others are in the mail as we speak, so hopefully all will be well.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

no prob man. I used a few discs on that one until i found a thread here about it needing that patch. I had never had to use a patch for a game before that one so it was new to me.