1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my iPod Nano wet

Discussion in 'General audio discussion' started by Wyattspop, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hey guys,
    My boy got his iPod Nano wet, not alot as the video screen still works, it responds to touch commands, just no audio (it worked perfectly the day after). Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve putting it in a bag of rice (talk about a stupid idea) If it helps, I'm very handy with all things electronic. I bought him a new MP3 already since he'd curl up and die without his jams (that's my boy), but I don't want to write off a $250 ipod without trying. Local shops here charge $100+ just to look at it...not happening. Thanks for any suggestions

2. aldan

aldan Active member

actually the rice should be the first thing to try,and never try to turn an electrical device on if there is even a chance of it being wet.try the rice and hope you didnt damage it by turning it on when wet.

Mez likes this.
  3. Mez

Mez Active member

Hot dry rice is best. Heat it up in the oven set to 300 F so it is ,to touch. Put it into a tight container or even a ziplock then immerse the ipod in the rice. Leave it in there for 24 hrs then repeat the process. The sooner you try the better. I agree you shouldn't turn on the device until you are sure it is dry as it can be.

4. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I paid my "electronics" guy just $25 to open it up and clean out the moisture, works perfectly and saved my $250 Nano

5. Mez

Mez Active member

That sound like a good move.

You can do the same if you buy a battery kit on eBay. They come with a tool to open the device so you can change the battery. Still, you don't want to wait for a shipment when your device has water on the inside.

6. aldan

aldan Active member

and so,after dismissing the two logical choices,you went with a repair guy?kinda makes this thread an exercise in futility.alrighty then.