1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got my ps2 chipped with magic and the drive doesnt open now!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by thetick82, Feb 18, 2003.

1. thetick82

thetick82 Member

I got a magic 3.1 i think, and the ps2 is a v4. but when i put in a disk it would play but when i wanna eject it wont! the blue light flashes and then the drive doesnt open, but it does make a little sound like it was gonna open, but it doesnt! also the drive opens if i power down and come back to it later like a few hours i guess. so after i got the import disk out i put in a US disk and then it runs but also wont eject. also when it doesnt let me eject i am not able to boot the game
    what can i do to fix this? what could be the problem, i tried everything but open up the ps2

2. jr_

jr_ Guest

Bios may be shorted or damaged.
    Check for solder bridge on bios or solder ball underneath.

3. Gx-9900

Gx-9900 Member

I had that problem. It turned out to be a bridge in the bga connections

4. thetick82

thetick82 Member

eep, i dunno what that means! whats bga? whats the chance of permanent damage?

5. thetick82

thetick82 Member

how do i remove the cover to get to the board?

6. jr_

jr_ Guest

No probably not permanent if that is what the problem is.
    Have the person who did the mod fix it.

7. comodo

comodo Member

when the blue flashes, your PS2 is overheatet!
    does your cooling-fan work?

8. PS2Gamer

PS2Gamer Regular member

I had that problem too, but I found it was only a wire was not connected properly to the DVD drive, I reinserted it worked perfectly

9. thetick82

thetick82 Member

what wire was it?

10. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

I'm not sure on a version 4 but on a 5-6-7 There are 4 ribbon cables that must be connected to the drive.
    Just take your time and you can probably figure it out. make sure to not have any static build up on your person when messing around on the inside.

Also, Why not take it back to the moder who did it? My guys fix everything for free once they mod it, even if it's months later. I guess I should feel luck I use them.

good luck

11. PS2Gamer

PS2Gamer Regular member

There are 4 wires connecting the drive to the board and my version, I'm not sure which one it was cause after I found that one was disconnected I just removed and reconnected the rest to make sure there wasn't any problem with them.
    It won't be the brown colored one cause the drive wouldn't open at all then.......duuhhhhh.
    Sorry couldn't be anymore help bro.

12. thetick82

thetick82 Member

thanx guys, i figured it out i think...it was so stupid..i moved the ps2 to another outlet..the one it was in was connected to a lot of stuff liek tv vcd dvd cable box etc so i guess it wasnt getting the power it desired. i guess it wants a lot more power when its modded. oh well ;] i appreciate all the responses. but the reset and eject button lights dont come on still. is there a way to get a replacement? maybe that fragile wire it is connected to got messed up when the case was being put back on.

13. jr_

jr_ Guest

The wall outlet change does not make any sense. May have started working because you moved it.

14. PS2Gamer

PS2Gamer Regular member

Sounds to me that the wires aren't properly connected/inserted, check to make sure that they are fully inserted, even, and aren't loose on the system board as well as on the drive itself.
    The eject/reset wire isn't connected directly to the drive it is connected to the system board, make sure it is connected on the board and the button too. Other than that I could only suggest checking your solder points.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2003