1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU AND CPU REMOVAL

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by jerecho, Mar 24, 2007.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

how do i remove these 2 parts from the motherboard. i got the small black screws out and now i am stumped?

2. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i figured out how do get the parts off but now i need help with putting on the thermal compound on the cpu and the gpu. does anyone know how to do it

3. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

yeah, get a thing of it and just put it on and press the heatsink down on it and check and make sure its not running everywhere, clean the excess and put it all back together

4. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

have you fixed a box with the 3 red lights. i took mine all apart and did the heat gun thing. i got some of the thermal compound and put it all back together and it worked for about 5 minutes and then quit. should i heat gun it again and then put more goop on it?

5. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

no dont put more, too much can cause over heating just like too little can, try the towel trick, that may do some good on it.

6. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

the towel trick is bullshit too. tried it and it worked for like 2 minutes and then broke again. if there is anyone who knows how to apply the thermal compound in detail and not half answers please let me know

7. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

well if you want a better answer then search before asking a question that is common sense, its not that hard to put THERMAL COMPOUND on a cpu and heatsink, its not brain surgery and it sure isnt rocket science, take the tube, put the compound on the cpu and press the heatsink down and even the stuff out, dont put too much and dont put too little, if it doesnt cover the cpu all the way, then put a tab bit more, dont over do it, and use the search bar, or better yet google, this is the simplest thing you can do to an xbox to keep from overheating...

8. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Dose the compound that you are using look like it is in a seringue? Are the marks with amounts on the side of the seringue? If so then you want to applie one mark worth of compound to the heat sink in the center. Do not put it on the CPU first put the compound on the heatsink.

9. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

It's been awhile since I've even looked into thermal paste. I remember Artic Silver 3 was the shit... What's the best out now?

10. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Shin Etsu G751

Thats what I use when I build my PCs.

11. rustyman1

rustyman1 Guest

artic silver 5 that is the best now but it wont stop 3 red lights unless you were getting them because you didn't have that much thermal paste on to begin with

12. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Are you sure that is the best? I have heard that Shin Etsu G751 is the best? Hmmm... I will look into that.

13. rustyman1

rustyman1 Guest

I'm not that sure that's just what I got when I researched before I did my chips :)

14. handsom

handsom Regular member

@jerecho

Have you tried leaving the towel on it, I mean permanently? I had to do that with mine. I wrap the towel around it, I make sure not to block the rear fan(hottest place on system), and I have my power supply 2 feet away from the system with a lot of wood between the two, which keeps the power supply's heat from messing with the 360's rear intake, etc. I've found this is the only way I can keep it working.

I'm sure it's not the answer you were hoping for, but it's an answer from someone who's been i your position for about three weeks; and has found it to be the only working solution.

15. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

thanks for all of the tips. ive taken my box apart so many times and tried different stuff that it does not even work anymore. i give up!!!

16. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I guess you will just need to buy a XBOX 360 Elite on April 29th

17. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

i already got another one a few months ago

18. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

Whenever you apply thermal paste, you must first clean off the original thermal paste with at least 90% alcohol. I personally use something called ArctiClean, as seen here:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g8/c123/list/p1/Thermal-Thermal_Cleaning_Products.html

But you can always use alcohol... when you do, use a SOFT CLOTH... try not to use a tissue b/c pieces of lint will come off from it. You want the CPU or GPU die completely clean, with absolutely NO dust or lint on it.

To apply the thermal compound... put a dab of it in the center of the die. You then have a few choices...

1. What I do is just put a dab in the center, about the amount of 2 grains of rice, and then I just place the heatsink and mount it on top. Usually the pressure of the heatsink will spread it out and also when you turn on the machine, the die heats up and helps the paste spread evenly (when it's hot, it's got more viscosity - meaning, more liquidy to spread out).

2. You can grab a CLEAN razor, such as this here:
    [​IMG]
    Rub the razor clean with alcohol, and then when it dries, GENTLY spread the paste along the CPU or GPU die.

3. Grab some Saran Wrap and wrap it around your index finger... then rub the paste evenly on the die with your finger.

And there you have it... those are great ways to apply your thermal compound. Typically, the heat from turning the machine on AND the pressure from the heatsink will help distribute the paste universally.

Remember, too much is too much and too little is too little... don't be afraid to have only a dab of it in the center... like I said, about 2 grains of rice, maybe 3.

Hope this helps (if the 360 isn't completely dead already).

19. handsom

handsom Regular member

@GodMan114

You have my applause, you are a truly helpful user in newbie status, I hope you stick around a while. We don't get a lot of people who understand tech, we usually get someone who pulled off a softmod one time and thinks they're the ultimate knowledge repository.

Welcome to ADForums.

20. GodMan114

GodMan114 Regular member

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. :)

I'm actually a senior staff member at ocforums.com (overclockers.com forums)... We do tons of PC overclocking and whatnot there. I'm also a member of hardforum.com, extremeoverclocking.com, xtremesystems.org, and anandtech.com...

Read, reply, learn!! I love forums. It's HALF the reason I know what I know. The other half is from experience.

Again, thanks.

Oh, and thanks to this forum, I currently own two hacked xbox 360 consoles, and have burned about 25-30 successful games (with 2 coasters). :)