1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU heatsink not getting hot

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by griff-1984, Nov 23, 2012.

1. griff-1984

griff-1984 Member

Hi peoples

A customer has given me an xbox which has stopped playing backup discs and normal games however the drive played a dvd movie disc with no problem. Ive opened it up and cleaned through the disc drive and when its switched on the fans slowly start to increase in speen until the xbox shuts itself down and flashes red lights 1 & 3 which is telling me its overheating.

So i removed the heatsinks and it was a bit of a mess so i cleaned all of the thermal compound and reapplyed some more. Tried the console, same problem. The CPU heatsink gets hot in seconds yet the GPU heatsink barely gets hot, so i removed the metal washers to hopefully close any gap between the heatsink and GPU but im still not getting results it either flashes the two red lights or flashes 3 red lights if the heatsink was tightened a tad to much.

Any help ASAP would be great.

Thanks in advance

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

cpu overheating is most likely the problem which is why it is doing a thermal shutdown.

3. griff-1984

griff-1984 Member

ok would a reflow be the solution to this??

4. griff-1984

griff-1984 Member

ive just got the secondary error code and it was 0011 which is the CPU

5. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

could be a faulty temp sensor!