1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grahpics Card

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by clay7676, Jan 28, 2007.

1. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

i'm looking to get a new grahpics card. Problem is i dont have a PCI-E (express) slot in my computer. I just have the old PCI slot. So I want your suggestion on a PCI graphics cards.

Thanks

2. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

3. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

another question..

I was searching graphics cards and I found some that were (AGP 8x) which is like the PCI, I was wondering how can i tell if i have a AGP 8x slot or what it is etc..

comment anyone PLEASEEEE

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your motherboard\computer manual. what is the make & model# of your computer or motherboard?

5. steimy

steimy Active member

If you have just the PCI slot i am not sure how much an upgrade will do as far as todays games. The PCI cards are really outdated.
    an X1300 is about the best you are going to get for PCI slots and it may do ok with some games, but over all they are not real great.

Now if you have an AGP slot then you will do much better, you can get something like a XFX GeForce 7600GT or above and play most new games provided that your processor and RAM can keep up.
    If you look at the reviews and see what games people are playing when they say it is great then you get a general idea of how good it is.
    Like one guy had an AMD dual core processor with this card and still had to run F.E.A.R. on medium settings for it to work.

It would be an improvement for sure, but not nearly as good as an AGP if you have a slot for it.

6. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

Well I ended up sadly only haveing a PCI slot : (. Anythings an improvement for my intergrated crap graphics. I've been looking around and I Was told the nvidia geforce fx 5200 is a good one.

http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Xfx-VGA-XFX-GF-FX5200-256M-PCI-RTL.

I was told it's god for CS: source and World of warcraft which are the two main games I play on my PC. Tell me if you know anything about it.

Another question. What's the diffrence between say 128mb graphics card and a 256mb graphics card. Does it mean the graphics card runs faster?

Comment back please.

7. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

8. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, that would be about your best choice. But they are cheaper by $20-$30 at Newegg.com
    I saw the same card as an open box special for $80 and brand new for $109
    I would choose the Nvidia card (FX5200) if it was higher up in their series like a 600 or 700 series card. But i do not see that they make them, PCI like i said is just outdated.

9. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Yes, PCI is old. AGP is also becoming outdated. I have an AGP slot and am feeling the pain. Choices to update are limited. Some cards that should work, won't for one reason or another. Conflicts with other components??

Take a REAL close look at the games you want to play. Check ALL of the spec REQUIREMENTS to see if your machine meets them. Game play will be better if your can meet the RECOMMENDED specs. Check the game maker's web site for info and support. If you don't meet at least the minimum, the game will run poorly, crash randomly, or not run at all.

Check to be SURE the card you get is on the SUPPORTED list for the game you want to play. Not all games will run on any given card. You choices are severly limited by the PCI slot. It may be worth your sanity to save for a complete new machine rather than patch up the old one.

Choose wisely. Good luck!

10. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, for the price of a graphics card you could almost just buy a new motherboard that would work with the processor and memory you have. It may take some searching to get one that fits the case, processor and memory you have. plus has a PCI-E slot. But in the long run it would be worth it.