1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Ozjohn, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Ozjohn

Ozjohn Member

I wonder if any of you have had any probs backing up Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I have tried to read 3 different copies using DVD Decrypter and all of them stop at read errors, one at 95%, another at 96% and the other at 97%.
    I have had no probs with any other PS2 DVD???

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

A read error while copying indicates something wrong with your original. I made a backup of Vice City with no problems using DVD Decrypter. Since it is happening on 3 different ones, maybe your the DVD ROM that you are ripping from is having outer edge reading errors. Vice City is a large DVD taking the whole 4.7 gigs and the outer edge of the DVD would be the last part read.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  3. Ozjohn

Ozjohn Member

OK, so what can I do about outer edge reading errors?

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Try ripping on a different DVD ROM. If it was just one original that was having read errors I would say it was bad media, but since you have tried 3 I would say its a problem with the drive you are ripping from.

5. Ozjohn

Ozjohn Member

OK I have finally got a good read from yet another original and burnt it to a TDK DVD-R but when I play the game on PS2 it keeps freezing up and giving me read errors.I have never had any probs with any other games I have backed up and played??
    Could it be that this particular game needs another brand or quality of media? I have also noticed that when I read other games to my HD it generates 2 files .ISO and .MDS but with Vice City it generates the files .MDS .100 .101 but there is no .ISO file?

6. Ozjohn

Ozjohn Member

OK Guys I seem to have answered my own problem but I will post it for the benefit of others.
    I purchased the best blank disk I could get and I set the burn speed down to X2, this allowed the buffers to remain full throughout the burn and the game plays perfectly, Cheers