1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic card? Sims Please Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Adamc2326, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

My daughter currently has Sims 2 on her computer and added a few expansion packs including pets and seasons. Since doing this the graphics on the game have been very strange flashing red walls and flashing purple where the grass should be.

I have done some research via the internet and it seems my graphics card is not up to the job so it is time to upgrade!!

This is where my problem starts I have no idea what graphics card I currently have or how I go about up grading it, according to a few websites Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB GDDR3 DVI TVO HDCP PCI-E is a good card to have. Could anyone let me know how to find out if this is compatiable (What information do you need??) and is it as simple as plugging it in?

Many Thanks

Adam

2. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Hi,

Yeah they are fairly simple to fit.

Firstly we need to find out the motherboard make /model so that the correct slot type of card is chosen.

This is located on the motherboard inside the computer, usually in the middle, but there is another way of finding out if your not keen opening it up. sometimes it isnt displayed but worth a try. Go to start- all programs- accessories- system tools- system information. when it loads up, on the right hand side you will see the various info about your computer. Your looking for the system model-.......

Also its handy to know the other spec of the pc such as cpu & ram. go to start- right click "my computer" then properties. when loaded up, everything is under where it says computer:

If you could post it all, then its a simple case of working out whats best.

3. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

Thanks for your reply I am working at moment, but soon as I get home I will post all the information you have asked for.

Thanks

Adam

4. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Ok here we go

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer iQon.ie
    System Model S651MPRZ
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2681 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F6f, 06/10/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United Kingdom
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.54 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.15 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

right click my computer properties as follows

celeron (R)cpu 2.66ghz
    2.68 GHz 1.968gb of ram

Hope this helps

Look forward to your response

Adam

5. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Ok good.

Your board will take a 4x AGP graphics card.

So the card you posted up in your first post the- Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB GDDR3 DVI TVO HDCP PCI-E will not be compatible because of it being PCI-E. But you can get the same card but in AGP 8x which is backwards compatible with 4x agp slots so if you can find a - Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB GDDR3 DVI TVO HDCP AGP then it would work. To the fact that your motherboard is AGP 4x you wont get the full performance from the card but most of it.

Also just to check the amount of power your computer is getting, can you post the wattage of the psu e.g. 400w . If you open up the side panel of the computer its the box at the top with alot of wires coming out of it.

6. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

This is great thanks so much for your help could you please check this link http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=B69237 and confirm this is what I need.

In your opinion is this a good card or could you recommend anything better?

I will take computer apart and let you know the wattage of the psu.

Adam

7. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Thats a decent card, i personally have recently purchased that for my spare computer. It would run Sims 2 easily and many others.

8. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Excellent looks like my daughter is about to be spoilt :)

Just before I purchase it does the wattage of the psu make any difference?

9. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Well using a psu below 300w will struggle and could cause damage to hardware as your adding a more powerful gpx card it requires additional power from it than your old one. If you have at least 350w then i would say you are pretty safe with the setup you have.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  10. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Fingers crossed then I will check that first.

Thanks for all your help, I will keep you updated on how it goes.

Adam

11. Molder

Molder Regular member

Adamc2326, Dude I think you are over spending on the Graphics card, just get somthing that will run Sims, have a look at SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9550 256meg TV / DVI (AUD $69.00 half the price of the card you are looking at). Just a suggestion, I hate to see people buy something they will never use. Yeah sure you can pay $300.00 for a card but if you wouldn't use it to it's full potential, why bother??

M

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  12. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Molder

As you are probably aware I am a complete amatuer in this field.....

Is this a good card because like you say it is a 1/4 of the cost?

Do I need to worry about the wattage of the psu?

Will this card allow my daughter to play the Sims 2 plus all expansion packs seasons etc?

Adam

13. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

There probably will come a time when other games will come of interest to his daughter and when that time comes there will be a need to upgrade like in a few months time when theres just not enough umph out of the 9550 to handle them. If you look at the specs between them, they are way far apart. i mean 4 pipelines vs 36 .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  14. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

I have to say she only uses her pc to play sims and sims only, she has a DS lite Nintendo Wee plus PS2 which she can use to play games.

So if she just sticks with sims will this card be ok?

Thanks jazbebies

15. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

The specs of it are very low but others are using it for the same game so i guess it would be fine, but i cant guarantee as ive never been in contact with one.

16. Molder

Molder Regular member

Adamc2326, Mate as I said if it was me and she only plays Sims, I know which card I'd buy.

M

17. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

Well I have brought SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9550 256meg and tried to install it, i read setup instruction and it has asked me to uninstall the onboard graphics first.

I had no idea how to do this so had a quick look on internet and read i have to disable it in the bios, well i looked and could not find this option :-(

The other option was go into to device manager and unistall the driver under display, tried this but after restarting computer it automatically updates itself.

I tried to install card as I read it sometimes overides the onboard graphics but after installing it all that happens is the gaphics card lights up blue so it must have power, but when my monitor is plugged in all I have is a black display as if no monitor is connected.

Please have you got any ideas?

Many Thanks

Adam

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, it's because you're currently still using the integrated graphics, you can't have two display adapters active at the same time. Go into device manager (start-run and type devmgmt.msc ) then go to display adapters, find your old graphics adapter, and go uninstall. Then restart and install your new Graphics card.

19. Adamc2326

Adamc2326 Member

Hi

Thanks for your reply, I have tried to uninstall the onboard graphics but every time I do this the computer has to be restarted then on reboot it will automatically install the onboard graphics again. The only way I have found is to disable the onboard graphics restart as the computer ask then uninstall this makes the display icon in device manager completely disappear I can only assume this is uninstalled.

I then insert the graphics card try to start up the computer but again black display is all I get, I am using the standard vga cable (The one with blue ends) from monitor to graphics card I take it this is right? I have a Samsung lcd monitor/tv.

Please reply I am getting quite desperate.

Thank you

Adam

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are there any other PCs you can try the card in?