1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card for Shuttle

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nobbi1977, Jan 1, 2005.

1. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

Hi i need the best graphics card i can get without a fan for my shuttle system. please dont recomend one with a fan as they are ALL to loud

Thanx

2. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I haven't seen a graphics card without a fan in a long, long time. Last thing I saw honestly with just a heat sink were the old Geforce 4 MX series.

If you're really wanting something very quiet and very fast I've seen video cards that use water cooling. Albeit, this is probably extremely expensive. I remember when the 5800 Ultra joke came out, I think gainward or someone were selling an overclocked version that was water cooled.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

any card you get now will most likely have a fan as they run hotter than a main cpu

4. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

That is a pain as the side of the shuttle is so close to the card that it makes fans scream and a passive cooler kit makes the card far to large to fit in. The main problem is getting to look at the cards before buying. I need to play HL2!!!!!

5. ddp

what shuttle motherboard do you have:make & model#. does not board have agp slot & what is in other pci slots

6. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

SN45G with AGP. Modem in pci slot as no broadband in the depth on nowhere!!!

7. ddp

than get an agp videocard. take your computer specs inluding make & model# or motherboard manual with you & go looking for a video card that will fit & work on motherboard. but 9 out of 10 will have a fan & not all are noisey

8. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Yeah, basically your only other affordable option is to buy a video card with a fan that's above your noise tolerance and then search for a silent replacement fan for it.

You're going to want to get one that cools just as good but is quieter. If you get something that's quiet but cools like crap, your video card will be doing a lot of crashing. I'm not sure how big the market is for quiet video card fans (as I've never even replaced a video card fan but one time) but if you search around for them you could probably find a video card that you like and maybe find a matching fan that's quiet. Order the video card, replace the fan and viola... quiet. With the higher end video cards now, though... they need a lot of cooling power.

9. comprun

comprun Guest

10. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

The Shuttle has the AGP mounted on the side near the case wall. it leaves on space for air flow so the fans scream. there is also no space to fit an quiet fan as these usualy sit a bit higher.

Thanx Comprun i will look in to your link

11. ddp

is your case also from shuttle, the xpc series as i downloaded your motherboard manual & you have a bastard motherboard & case because you'll probably have problems with it as your finding out with the video card