1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sleekmeek, Feb 15, 2008.

1. sleekmeek

sleekmeek Member

I have a home built PC and it has stopped booting up (the monitor wont come out of hibernation and the PC beaps). I went on computerhope.com/beep website and determined that the problem is with the graphics card (1 long and 2 short beeps) and the POST. So I followed to the supporting POST document and it says to unplug everything from my computer except the power cable and try booting it up, I have done this and it starts up fine, although there is no more information on what to do now!? And I cannot do anything as when I plug in the mouse and keyboard they dont work although when I plug the monitor in it shows that XP has started fine! some help would be much appreciated on what to do now!
    Thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Plug in just the mouse, keyboard and monitor to the PC and see what happens then. What else would normally be plugged into the PC in addition to these?
    Also, I assue you have only removed cables externally from the PC, you haven't taken the case off and moved any cables inside?

3. sleekmeek

sleekmeek Member

That enabled me to use the keyboard and mouse, and I was able to delete and then re-install the Nvidia drivers and its started up OK twice since then! Thanks

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good stuff, graphics drivers are the root of a hell of a lot of PC problems!

5. sleekmeek

sleekmeek Member

Bad news...
    My computer has started doing it again! I can still get it working again by unplugging the monitor and then plugging it back in when it has started up. I was wondering if I continually do this it might damage the computer in any way? Or if its an OK quick fix until I get some cash to possibly get a new graphics card.
    Do you think that a new graphics card is the option I need, as I have the best drivers etc for the hardware, and the problem is still occuring or just giving the hardweare a good spring clean might sort it out?
    Cheers

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I hot-plug and unplug my DVI connector all the time, so far no event, but yeah, you should really grab a new graphics card asap.