1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Card.....?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hewie1, Apr 18, 2007.

1. hewie1

hewie1 Member

OK this is a long shot, but here it goes....
    I have an HP Compaq dc5700 Microtower PC.....now....the Graphics device is an onboard 'Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000' which is POO( NOT GOOD ) for playing games

So I have perchesed a 'NVIDIA 128 MB, 6600 Graphics Card.
    Will this Card go into my PC, IF SO how do I do it........?
    Like I say......LONG SHOT!!!!

Thanks hewie1

2. steimy

steimy Active member

all depends on the system. Contact the manufacturer and ask them if the on board graphics can be disabled and a graphics card installed.

also make sure you get the correct type that will fit depending on which slots you have.
    PCI - way outdated
    AGP- slightly outdated
    PCI-E the newest standard

your manualy or manufacturers web page should tell you which slots your motherboard has

3. hewie1

hewie1 Member

More help please......!!

4. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Is this your PC?

If so it looks like you have a PCI-Express (I wouldn't be surprised because this PC has DDR2 RAM.) slot. Its located, from what I can tell, at the bottom, its the one (based on Newegg's pictures) that says "ADD2 Support Only" or something to that effect.

If you wanted to upgrade your RAM (the newegg specs list 512MB w. up to 4GB compatible) you could use any of these kits to boost you to 1GB+ (depending on how much you want to spend).

While the upgrading of your RAM isn't required, jumping from 512MB to 1GB or more would help your gaming performance quite a bit.

More then likely your PC would automatically disable the on-board graphics when you install a graphics card. If it doesn't you will have to do it manually in the BIOS. It should automatically disable the onboard stuff upon you installing a new card though.

Good Luck! :)

Peace

5. hewie1

hewie1 Member

Thanks POP SMITH, will give it a go.....fingers crossed!!!!!

6. Smee342

Smee342 Member

if im not mistaken is the 6600 series a AGP slot card ? but i coult be wrong, read ur manual or heck the box will say if its a pci-e or agp. ok most compaqs that ive ever played with u have to disable ur intergrated video card from ur bios. ok so what ur going to have to do is when ur pc first boots "POST" press F1 and keep pressing it tell it places u into bios screen. ok and from here ur going to look for somthing that says umm....i/o devices or similar and look for video and u will either hit enter to disable it and from there u will power down ur pc and install ur new video card.

now if that doesnt work and ur new video card doesnt work and u plugged into ur old vga slot and no video pops up u will have to clear ur bios with a small red "most of the time its red" jumper on ur motherboard normally also the jumper is near a small looking watch battery.

hope that helps

Smee