1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Driver Keeps Failing, Crashing Computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Phantome1, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

I recently got an Asus G50vt x5 and I installed windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and installed the newest driver from NVidia for my 9800m gs. After the driver was installed my screen would flicker and turn black then come back saying graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered and it would do that a couple times then go black and ultimately blue screen crash. I tried installed every other version of the driver and everytime same thing. I thought it was a heat issue at first but after cleaning my heat sink and fan really well and its running a lot cooler now and still having this issue. I thought that maybe a 32 bit version would fix the issue it didnt, I updated the bios and same thing, So last night i tried installing vista 64 bit to see if it was just having an issue with 7 and at first it seemed like the problem was fixed. For some reason the gpu temp dropped and started running alot cooler and I had everything working all night left it on and woke up to it still working fine so i assumed it was fixed and then started installing League of Legends and it crashed. Im at a loss right now, nothing I have done has fixed it. When I uninstalled the driver it seemed to work fine, then I loaded in safe mode with the driver installed another time the screen flickered, I didnt get a message saying the driver failed but I thought it was wierd that in safe mode that happened. If you have any advice please let me know, thanks!!!

Specs:
    G50vt x5
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/ Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    Nvidia Verde R300 Driver version 301.42
    Nvidia 9800m GS gpu

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

3. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

Tried but nothing in there for what I was looking for. Ran everything that sounded remotely related.

4. DarnHyena

DarnHyena Member

Sure be nice if it was still "open" :I
    Im having a similar problem after a recent AMD update.

5. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

It's still working I just tried it a little while ago.

6. DarnHyena

DarnHyena Member

I just tried clicking the link, it says the "beta is over" :U
    well, it said it's over for Window's7 :T

7. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

Yeah Fix it opened for me but I am on Vista at the moment. Whats wierd is that every once and a while after it has crashed and reboots it loads up and the resolution is all big as if the driver got damaged and no longer worked. Under device manager it shows NVidia 9800m GS with an exclamation saying windows has stopped this device because it has reported errors. I also have an exclamation next to two "base system devices" not sure what thats about but does this seem also just like a driver issue, I would hate to have to order a new card :/

8. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

It's possible they sent you a bad card.You may want to send it back for a replacement or call their Technical support and ask them if it sounds like the card is bad.It sounds like maybe some of your other motherbord drivers weren't installed because of the question marks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  9. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

I bought the laptop off craigslist used. The warranty sticker on the bottom is ripped so it no longer is under warranty....

10. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

Does anyone have any advice, im about to sell it and I really dont want to :( .... it just keeps crashing and crashing on xp, vista, win 7 everything. Safe mode it seems fine or when the driver is uninstalled but nothing I have tried seems to make a difference and I think of myself as pretty techy so im just getting frustrated. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

11. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  12. Phantome1

Phantome1 Member

How can you tell if its the Best buy model? Yes I have cleaned the heck out of my fan its running at about 50 celcius so its not hot. Also yes I have tried installing fresh from windows 7, and vista. Gosh I could try xp and see what happens but lord I dont want to use xp ahaha. Sometimes it wont even get to the login screen when booting before it blue screens and crashes:(.... Im starting to dread that i have a faulty graphics card. It just seems so much like a driver issue...

13. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member