1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great AZO DVD+R's... Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Crusaders, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Crusaders

Crusaders Member

I've read that some people were having trouble with using the Great AZO's in their Lite-On drives, which I have (Lite-On 851S disquised as a Pacific Digital). How have others fared? Also, how about using them in a DVD Recorder? Would it be similar in results? I have a Lite-On LW5005, and I need to find some cheaper media than Ritek, to waste on recording TV programs.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Ol' ScubaPete has informed me that Great AZO are crap and not even worth their very low price :)

3. afterhope

afterhope Guest

4. azdvd

azdvd Guest

I bought quite a few without knowing the truth, the only complaint I have is that the movies do not play on my PS2 but no coasters all have been succesful(35)

5. super-guy

super-guy Member

I bought some GreatAZO once, about 25 pack, for my data backups.
    There is no problem for my recorder, and the GreatAZO is much cheaper.

6. socon

socon Guest

Thx guys for the feedback with the AZO DVD'z thx god i didnt buy them lol

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well so far., I've gone through over 120 Great AZO and my thoughts are:

When Verbatim had their AZO's it was a pretty closely monitored product. Now that almost anyone can produce "AZO" discs it seems to be another story.

I don't mind experimenting so I purchased a quantity of "Great AZO". Running this through DVD Identifier produced information, which made me wince. In this case, the mfg could be traced to a company called InterAxia, located in Switzerland. The interesting thing is, InterAxia doesn't manufacture anything at all. What they do is sell the mfg. process to other companies, a total of 6 different companies with a total of 12 different plants. Each plant manufactures a different item, i.e., one plant produces a single-sided Jewel Case single, the next a single-sided Jewel Case 5-piece, then a single-sided Jewel Case 10-piece and so on – Of course there several companies producing the same thing so there's no telling who made anything. It is my feeling that you'll see the exact same thing.

So the question you're asking, after all of this, how has it faired ? Well Boys and Girls, it hasn't. Currently, I'm running about 18% for the coaster Club of the Western hemisphere.

Some of it is so bad it can be seen with the naked eye – (Hey HEY over there, I heard that – no cracks about my naked eye – Well some of us just like to "Strut our stuff. There will be no eye clothes for the ScubaPete's eye ! I'm referring to the "dye" job. It waves to and away from the edge. I've set my DVD Shrink target size to 4200MB. Enough so that when burning a good sized movie you can see the area not burned to the edge quite easily. I've got some Great "AZO" discs where the dye goes from the edge to 1/32 of an inch onto the disc. In case I'm not explaining it well enough – I have to set my DVD target size to 3900MB to 4000MB in order to burn the movie on the disc. The dye just isn't on the disc. (Now that's what I call quality control folks.(LOL)

I've read some posts where pple are saying that buying DVD discs for $.45 ea(USD) is too expensive. They want their discs for $.28ea and down – well guys and girls, If you add up the costs of all those coasters, including the wasted time for re-burning it's far cheaper to buy something that gives you a 99% satisfactory rating, in my opinion.

Download this handy little tool and test your Great AZO for yourself –

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

so I caution you, trusting in AZO is not what it used to be.

If you want AZO, Buy Verbatim "Advanced Metal AZO" to be sure.

I put my faith in RiData, Ritek G04, Sony and, as I've said, Verbatim "Advanced Metal AZO".

Lest you wonder why I'm trusting Great AZO, well I'm not. Every backup I've done on Great AZO I've also backed up the same DVD on "Branded" RiData. What am I doing ? I'm testing the "Memory" of DVDs but that's another story.

Peace all,

Cheers -

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  8. socon

socon Guest

thx scuba good info =)

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Yo' Scuba pete & everyone sorry for this previous post the big spaced one did'nt want to throw off the rhythm of the thread I hope I fixed it right Guys>! If not I will fix it when I can good night friends bigtoxy69

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I am truly amazed. I thought I was the only person willing to buy garbage just to test it. Welcome onboard.

I'm not sure I understood your post then.

Why would the the cost per unit, shipping cost and the conpatibility with your NEC have anything to do at all with testing garbage DVD's ?

I've been getting mine check memory loss which in just 2 months has coughed up1 disc which isn't playable.

Maybe there is something I can learn ?

Pray tell good sir, what are you using them for ???

(Oooohhh yes, filling a post with a blank space makes following a thread difficult. How about deleting all that space you just posted and trying not to let it happen again, Wot ?

11. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Pete:
    Have you had any experience with TDK 4X DVD-R?
    Recently on sale at Costco: buy #25 for $25, get an additional #25 spindle free for net cost of $0.50 per disk. Good rating from DigitalFAQ site (top category) but not on your list of recommend brands.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi StanH1000,

TDK makes their own stuff so the quality control should be just fine.

You might want to shop some more though - Mertline.com sells RidData and Ritek G04's for a bit cheaper, no special deals - for about $.45 to $.48ea (USD) free shipping. Either way, about 1/2 a buck apiece is about right for good stuff BUT you can't go by just price, each one needs to be checked -

i.e., Memorex = Nope -

Pete

13. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

FutureShop in Canada had a 3-day sale on Memorex 50 spindle of DVD+R and -R last week for $39.99 on sale from $89.99.

Took them home and open up the pack and noticed the disc was a purple kind color underneath, which made me think RITEK. Sure enough after backing up by original Kill Bill 2 on it and then running the disc through both DVDIdentifier and DVDInfoPro they came up as RITEK.

** INFO : Drive = _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A [FW 10GE]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+RW
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:RITEK-R02-001]
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

They are Ritek but they're R02 and not the good G04. Ritek isn't the only manufacturer to use purple dye either :)

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

scuba pete
    And Friends sorry for the big empty space on my posting earlier! was not intentional. A 1000 pardons everyone. I think you missed the point of my query? I was asking if yourself or anyone else had tried the Hq-azo media. that's all . I was trying to benefit from the expierience of those wiser than myself. as for the free shipping and price per disc everyone likes a deal. but thank you for your reply scuba pete & friends . and again sir my apologies! -bigtoxy69

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

BIGTOXY69,

No big deal, it's very hard for pple who wish follow the thread.

Please do me a favor and get rid of the space -

At the top of every post you make there is a small "edit" icon. Clock on that and place your curser at the bottom of your texr and hit your delete key to remove the empty space.

(you can also use it to change your post if you don't like the waay it reads after posting, you just can't remove a post) -

Cheers,

Pete

17. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Scuba pete I am trying what you said it's not working I click on the edit Icon I put my cursor at the end of my text I click the delete button but when I check the bi space is still there what am I doing wrong? help guys

18. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Scuba pete & friends I think I got it right _ editted the big spaced post again my apologies thanx you guys & gals too are the best -bigtoxy69

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That's the way to go !

I knew you could do it !

As I said, it's not a big deal but others read our posts and they scroll back and forth to follow the posts and having a large space throws them off. Thanks for removing it, you be da man !

Cheers,

Pete