1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great DVD Burning Tips

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DogBomb, Jan 6, 2005.

1. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

From http://www.k-probe.com

If your DVDs freeze or aren't playable, most likely, you didn't follow these rules.

Here are ways you can optimize your DVD burner:

- Update the Firmware on your burner
    - Clean the outside of your DVD Burner to reduce the risk of dusk getting into the lense when you open it.
    - Burn using Disc-at-once for maximum performance. Burning using track-at-once has a greater chance of creating an error on the burnt disc.
    - To optimize burning, let the burning program be the only program running. Try not to run backgroud programs or screen savers. (NOTE: Especially anti-virus programs which activate and devote all resources to itself periodically!!! You have to close out each process through Task Manager because exiting from the tray icon does just that, and only that.)
    - If you get buffer underruns, try slower burning speeds.
    - DE-fragment your hard disks before burning (for the smarty-pants below). ;)
    - Burning at slower speeds usually generates higher quality DVDs.
    - Always finalize your disks, never leave the sessions open. (Note: specifically movies)
    - Make sure your DVD player can play the formats that your DVD burns.
    - DVD+R/+RW media can set its booktype to DVD-ROM on certain DVD burners (@ the moment this works only the Liteon burners). This will yield higher playability on older DVD players. Why doesn't DVD-R be able to set its booktype to DVD-ROM you ask? It is because DVD-R media already has its booktype burned on from the manufacturer when made.
    - Do not just buy media just because its cheap, they may not last as long as buying high quality discs.
    - Once you find the right media that works for your burner and dvd players, stick with it and buy large quantities of them because DVD manufacturers always change their quality or change their Media ID.

And if you burn using Nero, select 'DVD-Video' from the wizard. It will check to see if your files and folders are DVD-compliant, burn as disc-at-once, finalize the DVD, as well as automatically set the booktype to 'DVD-ROM' for best player compatibility.
    Also:
    - Check your ASPI files to see they are not corrupt (through Nero InfoTool).
    - Turn off unnecessary Windows processes which hog memory (http://users.accesscomm.ca/gbraun/wxp/services.htm)
    - Rip to hard drive, then burn using Nero using 'DVD-Video'
    - Make sure your hard drive and burners are DMA-enabled through Windows Device Manager.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. NoName2

NoName2 Member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Should be placed at the top.

4. jordanm

jordanm Guest

can sum one please answer my thread it is labled as "I got my dvd burner i put it in my computer but how do i install it" sum one please help

5. OHK21

OHK21 Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

how do i fragment my hardrive?? install large programs then delete them?? :)

7. OHK21

OHK21 Member

You can defrag in Windows by going to

Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentor