1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green squares - DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ashroy01, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I just had an unusual experience. I recently made a backup of Gangs of New York and was watching the first disc. About 45 minutes into the movie the image twitched and most of the screen turned into bright green squares, hundreds of them. They were lined up like a grid. I could still make out some of what was going on; the movie continued to play with audio but was unwatchable. I returned to the main menu screen (which had played fine before) but it was also covered in squares. After restarting the disc it was working fine again and I tried returning to the same spot in the video, as I searched the picture was fine, but it happened again once I let it play for a few seconds.

This was a shrunk copy of the original DVD. If it was from an AVI I wouldn't have been surprised, but I still have never seen it before from any format. The only thing I can think of is maybe the encoding went wrong, but I'm just taking a stab at it. I've used the same media and software as before -- memorex 8x DVD-R, DVD Shrink 3.2, and Nero Express.

Has anyone else ever had this problem or heard of someone who has?

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You won't find too many people on this forum that want to use Memorex disc's, and you may have just found out why.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Do your disk's also have labels on them?

I agree with Veblin Memorex,,,, Bad

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Gangs is a pretty big movie and you said you had the main menu screen on your copy. Sometimes lots of compression will cause odd problems, as well as fast burn speeds. Did this occur near the middle of the movie? There is a layer break that Shrink is usually set to eliminate, sometimes that is where the error occurs. Good media will usually cure this. Keep your burn speeds resonable and your compression as low as you can. Eliminating the menus and extras helps. Some folks can't live without them though.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Memorex strikes again. I concur with the others. Try some Taiyo Yuden, Verbatum Datalife Plus, Ricohjpn, or Maxell media.