1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings to all and a quick question.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by mooman_fl, Jun 12, 2004.

1. mooman_fl

mooman_fl Guest

Greetings everyone!!!

I am both new to these forums AND to the wonderful world of modding.

I just got my Magig V 50K package and have yet to install it in my v9 PS2. I will most likely enlist the help of my step-dad who has a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering since I am more of a programmer than a hardware tech (although I find it facinating). I also have an old 40GB IBM Deskstar I am going to attempt to use in it once the mod is complete and working. I am mainly interested in homebrew PS2 developement although you can bet my DVD burner (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105) will be getting a workout to backup the games I get.

Before I get started on putting this bad boy in there though I just wanted to get any tips, suggestions, caveats, and experiences that other members have had that might help especially if you have been sucessful modding a v9 with the Magic 5 50K.

Please refrain from "Magic sucks! You should get <insert favorite mod here> chip!" as that is not helpful to me at all. Although a "I had problems with Magic because..." is fine since it might actually carry useful info.

If all of this goes well I have a v4 I may also mod at a later time. Unfortunately I believed at the time I got the chip for the v9 that my v4 was broken or I would have gotten the chip for the v4 first. Turns out it was only a dirty lens, but that is what learning is all about I won't make that mistake again.

Anyway... Thanks in advance for any useful post and I look forward to a lot of productive time spent here.

--mooman_fl

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Have you read the stickies?

Well if you meant you were new to forums as in forums all together, the stickies are the topic titles in bold right at the top no matter when the last poster was. Usually these stickies contain very important information, so read them all! (Apart from the rules because no one reads that =P )

Anyway, the only thing I recommend is to wear an anti static wrist band of some sort and be VERY careful.

I myself has had no problems with Magic Chips.

3. brad1102

brad1102 Guest

The version 9 console is very difficult for modchip installations. A lot of research and planning is required, if you have never done it before.

You will need good diagrams outlining chip mounting position, wire routing and of course, connection positions.

Good diagrams can be found at either:
    www.modchip.ca
    or
    www.chinamagic.com

These are the sites to use for diagrams of original Magic chips and not clones. It is my experience that clones will differ in a couple of connections, so stick with the OEM sites.

The front board connections are all pretty easy.

The rear-board connections are a serious pain in the arse.

You will need a fine blade to scrape the contacts away and use the shortest leads you can make.

[Use 30AWG kynar (wire wrap) wire only for this install!]

The 'R' timing wire is also pretty shaky. Pay special attention to the routing of this wire (away from all others) and keep it as short as possible.

Also, if you have never installed a modchip before, don't expect you first time to go smoothly and be successful the first console reassembly.

Good luck.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2004
  4. mooman_fl

mooman_fl Guest

Thanks for the comments so far. I have been doing alot of research on this the past several days and even though I am not comfortable yet with the idea of doing the mod completely by myself I am at least a bit familiar with what needs to be done in a generic sort of way since I grew up around someone that was always soldering something. LOL

Toiletman: I am not new to forums although I appreciate the pointer about stickies. If I had been, that would have been a big help.

brad1102: Thanks for the wonderful info. Some of it I have seen before. Some like the info on rearboard installations and the 'R' timing wire are new to me and greatly appreciated. I am also happy to say that I have the 100% genuine Magic V 50K. Matches perfectly in the info on the modchip.ca site and the picture you have in your signature. I am hoping that the mod will go smoother than usual with the help I will be getting. I don't really have the money to shell out for another PS2 if this one should fry... but if it does I will just have to move on to my v4 and try that one next.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Also beware that Magic V chips are not compatible with a v4 PS2. The DVD controller contacts are also a pain to solder (in my opinion harder than the rear board contacts on the v9).

6. mooman_fl

mooman_fl Guest

Thanks Icemonkey!

I knew the Magic V wasn't compatible with v4 but I appreciate the info on the DVD controller contacts since I will most likely mod my v4 next.