1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSpot returns unknown

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by efface, Mar 31, 2005.

1. efface

efface Member

I downloaded this anime series that I know for sure is all encoded in DivX format. I am using DivXtoDVD to convert it all and with some files i get some errors, others I don't. So I loaded these trouble maker ones into GSpot and I get "Non-AVI File - Type Unknown.". So I checked out DivXRepair to see if it finds anything wrong....nothing. The files themselfs play fine in all my video players, just encoding programs don't like them. Any tips on how to fix them or get around this?

2. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

The file you have is not in the AVI container format. DivX is a codec and a seperate 'thing' from a container like AVI, OGM, MKV, etc. GSPOT only really works with AVI container files.

3. efface

efface Member

well all of the files are .avi and they were all encoded together. So i know the files went through all the same processes. Just like half the files arent recognized by gspot

4. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

Then it sounds like some of your files may have been damaged whilst downloading only thing i could recommend is that you try an AVI Repair tool. This might explain why GSPOT is having a hard time recognizing some files as AVI. Other than this there is nothing else i could recommend.

5. efface

efface Member

can you recommend any programs that fix avi's? preferably one that can do batch jobs...

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

7. efface

efface Member

Thanks for the info. Guess it says the files are not avi either. Which they are....and for some reason I can not watch them now. Oh well....now i need to find a program to recognize any kind of video file...figure out whats going on here.

Ok...can't find anything, could some suggest a program to figure out what format type the file is.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

See if mplayer can play them back.

9. efface

efface Member

I've tried media player, its a no go. When i am browsing the files, the ones that work have a thumbnail and the ones that dont, dont. Dont know if that info help sout at all

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

When I said mplayer I meant mplayer not media player. mplayer supports just about everything and doesn't rely on installed codecs/filters.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu

11. efface

efface Member

I think the problem just boiled down to that they were corrupt....i've had some problems with other files, think my HD tweaked. Thanks