1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTA: Vice City backup problems.

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by JParkes, Feb 4, 2007.

1. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Hi does anyone know a way to make a flawless copy of Vice city? I tried everything! Searched the internet, please help.

2. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

What media are you burning to and at what speed? I used Ritek Tuffdisk for san andreas, vice city, gta3 and liberty city stories and they work perfect, I use tuff disk DL on my 360 which work real neat too.

3. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

I'm using Ritek GO5 +R's 8x, which I've tried. I used Datawrite -R 16x. I burnt the Ritek at 4x (slowest my drive supports) and Datawrites at 8x.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  4. steimy

steimy Active member

Try the DVD-R at 4X or booktyping the DVD+R to DVD-Rom if your burner supports it.
    Like above i had no problems backing these games up for my PS2 or Xbox.
    I used 8X DVD-R from Philips and Taiyo Yuden

5. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Ran out of DVD-R's. Got Riteks still. Tried at 4x,I also booktyped, didn't work right well. It was glitchy comin up with grey loading screen in gameplay.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

then it sounds like your PS2 laser is having a problem reading them. Some games like GTA just get read constantly because of the action and such. A common problem was driving along and having the screen in front of you just go blue, you would have to slow the car down until the game could catch up.

7. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Yep could be the laser! never thought of that. I'll clean it this afternoon.

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

Its the laser my old ps2 which is dead had teh same problem buildings werent loading then I was driving on nothing but on my new V14 the same game on the same ritek disc runs smooth but it always loads.
    Clean your laser with alcohol.

9. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

what? Like Jack Daniels Alcohol?

10. steimy

steimy Active member

11. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

I might of got all the screwdrivers but do I have to clean it with alcohol? (The Jack Daniels was a joke lol)

12. lilg_06

lilg_06 Regular member

Yes, you need to use alcohol, use a cotton bud, put some alcohol on one end, and clean the laser with it, then dry it using the other end.

13. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

What alcohol is this? I have a lens cleaner CD - I know wont work. But it came with some spray you put on a disk then you put it in and it cleans it, will the spray work? I have a jewellers screwdriver, I opened the PS2 open yesterday but my jewellers screwdriver (I think its a jewellers) wouldn't fit the screws on the cover. But it has blunted on the end through wear and tear maybe thats the problem.
    EDIT: I managed to get the cover off and clean the laser, I cleaned it with just a cotton bud - no alcohol. It seems to have helped as its running smoother and sounds much better.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  14. steimy

steimy Active member

just the cotton swab means you basucally removed only surface dust. Using a small amount of alcohol or lens cleaner would have been better. And the best thing i have found for the screws on the DVD tray top are eyeglass screwdrivers. You can get little eyeglass repair kits in most drug stores (CVS,Walgreens,Eckerds and so on) for very cheap.

15. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

I'll see if i can dish out the lens cleaner spray and take another go at it. Thanks for the tip. I can get the screws out but putting the ba***rds back in is the problem