1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guaranteed, simple fix for sticking PSP 1000 Square button

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by Iloveamanda12, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Iloveamanda12

Iloveamanda12 Newbie

I had a sticking square button on my newly purchased PSP 1000 and it drove me insane. It didn't always stick, just at the times that you really needed it to cooperate. I. Haven't found a fix for this anywhere on the internet, even after all these years. I decided to take matters into my own hands, but I didn't figure I'd have any luck. As it turns out, from the time I started thinking, til the me it was fixed might have been seven minutes max.

If you're familiar with the method for taking the faceplate off of the console, go ahead and do that. If you're not familiar, you can easily find a guide online by searching. All it entails is a screw on the underside of the faceplate, four screws inside the battery compartment, and two screws opposite the battery compartment side.

Once you have the faceplate off, you're already nearly done. Take a rubber band that's wide and cut a small section. Depending how wide it is, trim it so that it only covers the LCD frame and doesn't over lap the screen or into the button board area. The goal is to put this right on the frame of the LCD directly behind the left side of the square button (the side with the cutout that goes overtop of the LCD screen). I used a very small amount of Elmer's glue for attaching it to the LCD frame. Let it dry first so you don't run the risk of having glue run onto your LCD screen. Again, obviously be careful in how much glue you use, as it doesn't have to be much.

Once the rubber band is dry, you can go ahead and reassemble everything in the reverse order. You might choose to use a sharpie to color your rubber band, as you will see it through the hole around your square button. Also, just a reminder to use a lint free cloth to clean your LCD well, as well as the inside of your faceplate.

Once mine was back together, it played absolutely flawless. The rubber band gives just enough depth to keep the button from being able to be pushed in diagonally, and just enough spring to pop the be sure the button releases flawlessly every time it's depressed.

My rubber band is there in the middle, slightly outlined in blue (formerly a blue rubber band before I colored it).

Attached Files: