1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: CONVERT PAL TO NTSC

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by DVDBack23, Aug 11, 2005.

1. keegan83

keegan83 Member

I keep trying to convert PAL to NTSC, but the movie I'm trying to convert is segmented into several VOB files, and when I put them in the source eihter all together or one at a time an error message pops up saying "Invalid floating Point Operation". What is that all about and can I get around it?

2. Nosredneh

Nosredneh Member

keegan83,
    I am addressing this to you but I want all the other contributors to this forum to also know I am addressing them too. If you are going from PAL DVD to NTSC DVD, there are several good suggestions in this forum. I was about to try one I had found on a different Afterdawn thread discussing the same problem. No need though. I found my solution by trial and error method until I got he right conversion program. I got a program called MovieJack 3.5. I ran the Moviejack program using a PAL DVD ripped to my harddrive as the source. I only needed to locate the folder with all the .VOBs in it. For The first trial setting, the program ripped the main movie .VOBs to .AVI as 4 equal sized files of 770 mb and a very small file for the remainder. Quality was not has expected. I changed the setting to output to .MPG at best quality with infinite size and got a quality single file ,MPG that was 1 gig smaller than all the .AVIs when combined. I used Roxio EasyMedia 8 to create and burn the .MPG to DVD and got a great quality NTSC DVD with great sound.

3. DVDOCD

DVDOCD Member

mwpfoto:

I really wish that I could get your method to work, it sounded so good, but everytime I try, with DVD Shrink, and choose for it to burn with nero, it doesn't convert it from PAL to NTSC, I am not sure why, as I have followed your instructions explicitly. Are you certain that your original movie is PAL? I do not mean to doubt you, but I am just curious, have you ever loaded one of the original "VOB's" (from the PAL movie)into a program like "G-Spot" which will tell you if it is indeed PAL.

As for Nero-Vision converting on it's own,(without going through DVDShrink first) it will, using the settings that you have mentioned in your previous posts, but "movie only" no menu's etc, but you can add the extra's and create your own menu. The results of the conversion are very good, and the entire process is completed with one program, which I found rather convenient.

thx

4. mwpfoto

mwpfoto Member

I don't know how or why you are having trouble. The dvd I converted was a region 2 PAL DVD9 disk that I bought new from Amazon.fr. Though I did make a NTSC regio 0 copy with everything on it. I also made a copy of the "movie only" and a seperate copy for tje "extras" The "un-shrunk" 2 disk version was 99.9% as good as the original. The full disk copy was also very good, maybe 89-95% perfect dvd quality. Since DVDShrink will change the region codes to 0 or "all" and reduce the content size automatically (as long as you have set up the preferences correctly) there can be no problem with generating .VOB files that NEROVISION can use to burn. Now, as long as NEROVISION is set up the way I indicated, (and just to be sure after I change the video settings in NEROVISION I leave it "open") it should burn fine.
    Another way i guess is to have DVDShrink do it's thing but just have it save the VOBs to your HD. Then you can import manually those files into NEROVISION and burn it. You never did say what actually happened with your attempts? At what stage did something go wrong??