1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE: Creating Pandoras Battery On Linux

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by bigcuz000, Oct 29, 2007.

1. bigcuz000

bigcuz000 Regular member

[GUIDE] Creating a Pandora on Linux

EDIT:JumpR made revisions to the guide removeing the vista portion of the guide due to the fact of it not working for everyone. Check the original guide for more changes

Introduction

It seems that nearly all Pandora guides are for XP users, so I'll make this mini-guide for reference on how to use it with a Linux, you still need to follow the Pandora guide of your choice, just replace the 'mspformat' and 'msinst' steps with these. My apologies that this guide doesn't really has a good formatting, I didn't really have a idea how to format a guide that constantly contains code people need to execute. Anyways, good luck! Feedback would be nice

Creating Pandora on Linux

Introduction

First of all, open up the terminal window and connect your memory stick to your PC in the way you prefer. Once it succesfully connected, execute the following command in the terminal:

dmesg

Now a pretty big list should show up, and at the bottom something like this should be there:

[ 9299.909133] sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdf
    [ 9299.909182] sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0

Notice the 'sdf' that I made bold, this might be different then at you, so remember what is says for you, and in every step that I use 'sdf', replace it with what your one says, to easy up things, I'll make it bold for the rest of this guide.
    Now type this in the terminal:

sudo umount /dev/sdf1

It will ask for your root password, enter it.
    Now follow one of the steps below, at the point the guide you are following tells you to.

Replacement for mspformat

First of all, enter this in the terminal:

fdisk /dev/sdf

Now the text 'Command (m for help):' should pop up, our goal is to do exactly the same as mspformat would do, so now do exactly this with fdisk:
    d
    u
    n
    p
    <enter>
    t
    c
    a
    w

Now let's reformat the memory stick so it is useable:

mkfs.vfat /dev/sdf1

Now disable USB connection and enable it again, then contiune following the guide.

Replacement for msinst

Let's keep this simple, do the exact same thing as the guide states, but instead of 'msinst' do this:

dd if=msipl.bin of=/dev/sdf bs=512 seek=16
    sync

You can use the exact same way to install for example Booster's MultiLoader

Original Guide Can Be Found Here
    http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-pandora-...andora-on-vista-linux-126194.html#post1856236

Credit to JumpR at QJ.net

Hope this helps guys

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. Rogdrik

Rogdrik Regular member

yeah im on vista and my msist step wokrs fine but the mspformat doesnt but can you waht does format X: /fs:fat mean???

how do i type that in the thing? (CMD)???

3. bigcuz000

bigcuz000 Regular member

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Bigcuz000

edit your sig to conform to forum rules ASAP. Five lines of text max, for text only. If you want to keep your userbar you can keep three lines of text.